• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random instabilities

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tabzilla

Registered
This machine has been running perfectly fine at 2.35ghz (o/c from 1.8) with 220mhz ram @ 2-2-2-10 for almost a year. Starting a few weeks ago, the following started happpening:
1. computer randomly reboots/hard locks, no pattern as to when.
2. restart results in either a normal boot, nothing, or no post with long beep errors (memory)
2. In the cases where windows boots, it may randomly freeze or restart again within a few minutes. this can repeat a few times.

after getting the long beeps, i have tried reseating the vid. card, using a known stick of good memory, and using different memory slots to no avail. At first it would clear up after a few minutes, but last "episode" i gave up after 15 mins of reseating and restarting.

Interestingly, after using my roommates' working stick and reinstalling it in his comp, he had the same long beep boot error. I eventually had to move the other stick he had installed into the 2nd slot-he has had no problems since.

The EXTREMELY confusing part is that i have ran prime95, and memtest both over 8 hours at my current clock settings. I have also played day of defeat:source and World of Warcraft tests for hours without problems.

I have a chaintech vnf-250 mobo, 2800+ clocked to ~2.1, 2x512 tccd memory, new 500W Antec PSU, 6800GT with an icestorm cooler.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :beer:

Gnufsh said:
If you set everything back to stock, is it still unstable?

*gasp* back to stock? i don't know if i can do that...

I guess i could try it...but the problem is so intermittent that that could mean going a week at stock speeds.

Update: memtest is now failing at speeds lower than what it used to pass at. Why would it do this?

Back