• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New MB P5WD2 PLEASE HELP :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyS

I bought a brand new computer with a P5WD2 Asus MB not premuim. When trying to install win XP i get a blue screen each time the install says windows starting up. The blue screen suggests my HD is bad. I already replaced the ram and switched that ram with known working ram. So its not the ram. I have 4 places to plug in the SATA HD i don't want raid but i put it in the SATA slot 1. Copied some of the raid drivers on a Disk from the CD i got and tried that but still nothing. I don't want raid so is there anyway i can by pass this? I'm about to give up i have no idea how ot fix this. If i need raid drivers the CD i got with the MB has tons to chose from maybe i'm taking the wrong ones. Please help me.

Simple case of reading the manual before you power the machine up :). First you need to go into the chipset options and make sure all RAID is disabled on the SATA ports.

Next you need to load the NON raid Sata drivers at the start of windows installation by pressing F6 when booted to CD.

That ought to fix the problem

I'm such noob. I can go to Configure SATA A's and it gives me 3 Options it was on Standard IDE or i can do AHCI or RAID. In the chip set options in the bios i don't see any options to disable raid.

In the IDE configuration, set the IDE is "Standard IDE" and in the "enhanced mode "set the type as "SATA".

What is the Hard disk size? In some versions of XP, OS can't access the Hard disk size greaterthan 137GB(????).

the blue ide port is the only one that will work without loading drivers. you can either find another computer and put the drivers for the red ide ports on a floppy and load them before you install windows, or you can just put your main hard drive and cd-rom in master/slave and put them on the blue ide port.

crimedog said:
the blue ide port is the only one that will work without loading drivers. you can either find another computer and put the drivers for the red ide ports on a floppy and load them before you install windows, or you can just put your main hard drive and cd-rom in master/slave and put them on the blue ide port.

ck1974 said:
In the IDE configuration, set the IDE is "Standard IDE" and in the "enhanced mode "set the type as "SATA".

What is the Hard disk size? In some versions of XP, OS can't access the Hard disk size greaterthan 137GB(????).
They are refering to the older windowsNT and 98 type OSs. SP2 has no problem with 300+GBs

Sentential said:
Simple case of reading the manual before you power the machine up :). First you need to go into the chipset options and make sure all RAID is disabled on the SATA ports.

Next you need to load the NON raid Sata drivers at the start of windows installation by pressing F6 when booted to CD.

That ought to fix the problem

I'm a little bit confused here, is there any necessity to install 'Non raid SATA Driver' before instaling windows?

I think any sata HD on SATA 1 port will be completely supported by Windows and there is no need to install specific drivers, correct me if i'm wrong.

afs said:
I'm a little bit confused here, is there any necessity to install 'Non raid SATA Driver' before instaling windows?

I think any sata HD on SATA 1 port will be completely supported by Windows and there is no need to install specific drivers, correct me if i'm wrong.

that's correct, sata is native and you don't need drivers (at least the southbridge's four ports, you probably need them for the silicon image)

crimedog said:
that's correct, sata is native and you don't need drivers (at least the southbridge's four ports, you probably need them for the silicon image)

That is correct, the SiL controller needs drivers.

Back