• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! I cant run this new memory at stock..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MtX

Registered
Help! I cant run this new memory at stock..

Im currently using:

Abit NF7-s Rev 2.0
2500+ Mobile
2x512 Patriot XBLK PC3200 Kit
X850XT
Seagate 160GB SATA

I got my Patriot ram today (use to have Kingston HyperX 2x512 PC3200) and popped it in my system.. but ive been having problems all day long.. random restarts 5-10 mins in windows or when i open up internet browser.. obviously ram's unstable as this was NOT happening before when i used kingston..

mind you im running @ stock settings, 200fsb @ 5-2-2-2 is what it's rated at and thats what im using.. i try this with dual channel using 2 different slot combinations, switching up RAM, doing 512mb at a time, yet it still produces same problem.. i go above 200 fsb and its same thing.. now im running 6-3-3-2 timings and it seems to be fine.. is it my ram? or is it my motherboard?

ive NEVER run above 200 fsb on this motherboard, and ive never ran anything short of 6-3-3-2 whe ni had kingston.. im convinced my nf7-s is a dud, or just simply a board that cannot go over 200 fsb at tight timings..

MEMTEST:

i ran each stick (512mb) alone on memtest @ 200fsb 5-2-2-2, one for 8 hours and the other one for 30 minutes, both passed without problems.. this leads me to believe my motherboard hates tight timings and high fsb

I just put in two sticks @ DC, 5-2-2-2, 200*6=1.2ghz and ran memtest. In 7 hours, it passed 9 times but there were 2 errors, both in Test #5. What does this mean? OH BTW, Im using D26 Mantaray XT's 2T bios.

1cem4n - same thing.

MtX-
(EDIT: put system at default settings in bios 1st.)

Run SisSoftSandra & look into the cpu & mobo icon thing,.....give you system specs & cr@p.

about 1/2 way down it'll tell you about your memory.
how much, what slots & WHAT SPEEDS it is running & RATED.

It IS possible you do not have a matched set there.

if that is the case, call the CO. & see about exchanging them.
If they are brand new, you can take them back - something like that.

If they are not right, have them make it right.

I did this with a pair of matched Ver2 Mushkins I had.
I called them & explained exactly what I had found & they were very happy to help me & make it right.

Mushkin Service Rocks. but don't tell them I bought Corsair last time....... :rolleyes:

:attn:

WarriorII said:
1cem4n - same thing.

MtX-
(EDIT: put system at default settings in bios 1st.)

Run SisSoftSandra & look into the cpu & mobo icon thing,.....give you system specs & cr@p.

about 1/2 way down it'll tell you about your memory.
how much, what slots & WHAT SPEEDS it is running & RATED.

It IS possible you do not have a matched set there.

if that is the case, call the CO. & see about exchanging them.
If they are brand new, you can take them back - something like that.

If they are not right, have them make it right.

I did this with a pair of matched Ver2 Mushkins I had.
I called them & explained exactly what I had found & they were very happy to help me & make it right.

Mushkin Service Rocks. but don't tell them I bought Corsair last time....... :rolleyes:

:attn:
I bought this off someone so it better not be some bogus RAM.

But I will do what you say now/

It shoudn't be bogus, but it may not be what it's labled.

in Sandra, it'll tell you all the information that is "programed" into the chip(s)

factory info.

Slot 1 =Samsung pc2700 rated 2.5-2-2-8 currently running at 1-1-1-99........
Slot 2 =Generic pc2100 rated 5-5-5-38 currently running at 9-9-9-88...

something like that.

MTX.... first and formost..... it sounds like you're not entirely familiar with your hardware. You don't even want to try and run tras of 5 on NF2 architecture. Even if the ram is rated at 5 the best for stability is 10 or 11. So if you want to give it a shot try 2-2-2-11. Some people (myself included have had better success with 10 but that's besides the point. Also..... I doubt anything is wrong with your mb. Just keep in mind that NF2 architecture doesn't run exactly like NF3, NF4 or even Intel.

Edit: I read your post again...... if you're gonna try and run those tight timings on an NF7 you'll need to supply plenty of volts.... with a modded bios you can get 2.9, or just use a booster. You may want to head over to the motherboard threads and check out all the good stuff over there for NF7 boards. Used to be my mb of choice until I went to A64 chips.

WarriorII said:
It shoudn't be bogus, but it may not be what it's labled.

in Sandra, it'll tell you all the information that is "programed" into the chip(s)

factory info.

Slot 1 =Samsung pc2700 rated 2.5-2-2-8 currently running at 1-1-1-99........
Slot 2 =Generic pc2100 rated 5-5-5-38 currently running at 9-9-9-88...

something like that.
For both slots, it says:

512MB 16x(32Mx8) DDR-SDRAM PC3200U-1522-600 (CL2 up to 200MHz)(CL1.5 up to 200MHz)

MTX.... first and formost..... it sounds like you're not entirely familiar with your hardware. You don't even want to try and run tras of 5 on NF2 architecture. Even if the ram is rated at 5 the best for stability is 10 or 11. So if you want to give it a shot try 2-2-2-11. Some people (myself included have had better success with 10 but that's besides the point. Also..... I doubt anything is wrong with your mb. Just keep in mind that NF2 architecture doesn't run exactly like NF3, NF4 or even Intel.

Edit: I read your post again...... if you're gonna try and run those tight timings on an NF7 you'll need to supply plenty of volts.... with a modded bios you can get 2.9, or just use a booster. You may want to head over to the motherboard threads and check out all the good stuff over there for NF7 boards. Used to be my mb of choice until I went to A64 chips.

You're right, Im not, ive been running 200*11.5 for past few months and now I finally got some nice TCCD ram that should hit high and tight FSBs (like people say).. i'll try 11-2-2-2.... im using modded bios right now and i think that's all im gonna use.. as for my ram, its not BH5, it shouldnt require over 3.3V or some crazy crap..

im going to A64 too, im just waiting for my parts to come, for now i want to see how far i can push my NF2 :D

MtX said:
For both slots, it says:

512MB 16x(32Mx8) DDR-SDRAM PC3200U-1522-600 (CL2 up to 200MHz)(CL1.5 up to 200MHz)

You're right, Im not, ive been running 200*11.5 for past few months and now I finally got some nice TCCD ram that should hit high and tight FSBs (like people say).. i'll try 11-2-2-2.... im using modded bios right now and i think that's all im gonna use.. as for my ram, its not BH5, it shouldnt require over 3.3V or some crazy crap..

im going to A64 too, im just waiting for my parts to come, for now i want to see how far i can push my NF2 :D
ok good that gives me more info..... with TCCD ram you might get somewhere between 215-200 with 2-2-2-11 timings...... however you might also get up near 240 if you switch the timings to 2.5-3-3-11 (10) and votage to about 2.6 or 2.7. NF7 boards can do pretty well with TCCD. Also if you really want to go with high FSB you might need to go with CPC off in bios. NF7 boards can be real good to you if you treat them right.

MtX said:
I bought this off someone so it better not be some bogus RAM.

But I will do what you say now/
would you post here the letters, numbers and color? does the back side show 8 silver pins right below heatspreader?
ask the person you bought them from if the rams are on brain power, If says no, or not know, then the sets are not TCCD.

ok good that gives me more info..... with TCCD ram you might get somewhere between 215-200 with 2-2-2-11 timings...... however you might also get up near 240 if you switch the timings to 2.5-3-3-11 (10) and votage to about 2.6 or 2.7. NF7 boards can do pretty well with TCCD. Also if you really want to go with high FSB you might need to go with CPC off in bios. NF7 boards can be real good to you if you treat them right.

Ive never gotten above 200 FSB on this board with ANY RAM - I hope this is the first time I break 200 stable. And Im currently using D26 Mantaray XT 2T bios with CPC off.

ochungry said:
would you post here the letters, numbers and color? does the back side show 8 silver pins right below heatspreader?
ask the person you bought them from if the rams are on brain power, If says no, or not know, then the sets are not TCCD.

Here they are:

Red Heatsinks, PDP Systems Patriot Memory
PDC1GB3200-XBLK (2x512MB Kit)
1GB 400MHz(2-2-2-5) 533MHz(3-4-4-8)
8 silver things on the back

why are you running so much voltage with your mobile? if you're running at stock speeds you shouldn't need more than 1.6v. I can run my 2500 mobile at 1.5v. Also look at your chipset voltage. NF7 boards tend to need some chipset voltage to get higher fsb..... and one last thing have you done the pin mod to your mb for higher fsb?

see this thread for more assistance......
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=324662

HousERaT said:
why are you running so much voltage with your mobile? if you're running at stock speeds you shouldn't need more than 1.6v. I can run my 2500 mobile at 1.5v. Also look at your chipset voltage. NF7 boards tend to need some chipset voltage to get higher fsb..... and one last thing have you done the pin mod to your mb for higher fsb?

see this thread for more assistance......
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=324662

sorry, ignore my sig, its old :D

i just ran 225 x 10.5, 11-3-3-2.5, played some NHL2006, ran 3D2001, ran prime for few mins, it seemed stable.. im running 230x10.5 right now (1.8V) and it seems fine too, but i havent done strenuous stability tests so who knows it might be unstable.. still dont know why i cant do tight timings @ high fsb.. this is TCCD!

i havent done any physical mods to my board and i dont think i will :(

Back