• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2-P and AI Booster with 820D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steveeb

I'm getting some strange readings when I have my system clocked over 3.5GHz.

In the bios, I manually set the vcore voltage to 1.325. When I reboot, the vcore only reads 1.28-1.30 in AI Booster AND PC Probe AND CPUZ. Could something in my settings be overriding my "manual" setting?

Secondly, if I run anything that's cpu intensive, and my oc is >3.5, the MHz display on AI Booster jumps around like crazy. One second it could be 3668.05, next second 7732.xx, next second drop all the way down to 0081.xx. Just keeps jumping around. CPUZ simultaneously reports normal readings.

At 262x14, I am able to run dual Prime95, SuperPi (35.6s), Folding, etc with no problems, so I don't think it's a stability problem.

Any ideas?

I just ran another test. I bumped the vcore to 1.3625 and the freq. to 270x14 (3.78Ghz) and I think I answered my own question regarding the vcore voltage readings. Right now AI Boost shows 1.34 vcore. I'm guessing the system is smart enough to only use what it needs, thus setting it at 1.3625 is only a maximum voltage, not necessarily a constant voltage to the cpu.

This thing is a beast... I half expected sparks to fly when I pushed it to nearly 1GHz over its stock speed. :)

Running prime95 as we speak and AI Booster's Mhz numbers are still jumping all over. Here's a screen shot showing AI Booster and CPUZ numbers

Last edited:
I'm actually doing some burning in and AI is telling me my cpu is running @ 4431.21. I have it set to 295x14=4130. the last time i checked!!! :)

Just use CPU-Z for accurate info. AIB works OK for making changes in FSB/voltages, but it's way flakey for readings and that seems particularly true on dual cores.

On every Asus board+single core P4 I've had for the least 5 years, CPU-Z and SpeedFan read .05Vc higher than what I set in the BIOS...I don't know if that holds true for the dual cores. Also, if you have SpeedStep, Thermal Control or any of that stuff on, it's going to vary clocks/Vc depending on load/temps.

Nasgul said:
This seems to be only happening with Dual Cores because I never got a weird reading. I have AIBooster loading every single time windows starts (quite annoying but like it that way) and so far it's been 100% accurate. I can't remember whom else was having this type of issue with his system as well but I managed to save a pic for future references but never thought it'd be this soon:

:D Thats not my ss but i got the same reading on my 830D during a burn in! It's been doing wierd things lately, it always reads my multi as 15 and i'm always running 14. I wish MBM supported my board!!

I had that problem too when I hit 3.5ghz on my PD 820. I seem to have fixed it by upping the MCH voltage and chipset voltage a bit from stock voltages. It usually happened when I played Dungeon Siege 2 or some other game before. Now I have the mch and chipset voltages 1 option over stock. Good Luck.

Back