• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new system for a friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unreal

Registered
ok so as of right now he is looking to spend about 1500 for a new comp.. i already have ocz 2x1048 el plat 2-3-2-5 ram for him and an ocz powerstream 600 psu, looking for amd solution and most likely one of the top nvidia cards 7800 gt gtx or somethin... motherboard supporrted sli for another later on.... still need ideas for black windowed case that can hold 4 or 5 drives "3 1/2" and 2 or 3 "5 1/4". also looking for most likely a logitech keyboard black and optical mouse from logitich, either mx510 or 518, for the price, unless there is better for the system i would probably spend more money elseware... so what can you guuys suggest.. please... thanks to all... i love oc hehe

ABIT Fatal1ty AN8-SLi Motherboard $194.99
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core Processor $518.49
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300S0 300GB Hard Drive $122.00
eVGA GeForce 7800 GTX Video Card $485.85
Thermaltake VA8000BWS Armor Series w/ Side Panel Black $149.99
Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse $37.00

Total: $1507

For Clubit.com:
Get Free Shipping on orders $50 or more. Enter coupon code during checkout.
Code: FREESHIP50
So with shipping, it's $150 shipped for the Armor series

I'd say what I picked would be a pretty good choice. If he games more then multitask, then you can just get a X2 3800+ and probably Raptors in RAID0 or a second GTX instead. But I'd rather get the X2 4400+ and buy the second GTX later on.

I picked that Abit board because it's one of the best SLI boards, next to the ASUS A8N Premium, but the Abit has more accesories and can OC better then the ASUS at least.

wow thx for the input, yeah i was wondering about that choice for the hard drive you picked, i would have thought maybe a 74 raptor or a 36 raptor for boot, and a 300 or 4 for storage.... and my friend's gf was looking at these cases for him to....
http://www.xoxide.com/black-computer-cases.html

Xoxide X-Static Case - BlackXoxide X-Static Case - Black
pad
Regular price: $29.99
Sale price: $27.99

Aspire X-Cruiser Thermally Advantaged Case - BlackAspire X-Cruiser Thermally Advantaged Case - Black
pad
Regular price: $74.99
Sale price: $69.99

Xoxide X-Aviator Case - Black $34.99

darksparkz said:
ABIT Fatal1ty AN8-SLi Motherboard $194.99
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core Processor $518.49
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300S0 300GB Hard Drive $122.00
eVGA GeForce 7800 GTX Video Card $485.85
Thermaltake VA8000BWS Armor Series w/ Side Panel Black $149.99
Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse $37.00

Total: $1507

For Clubit.com:
Get Free Shipping on orders $50 or more. Enter coupon code during checkout.
Code: FREESHIP50
So with shipping, it's $150 shipped for the Armor series

I'd say what I picked would be a pretty good choice. If he games more then multitask, then you can just get a X2 3800+ and probably Raptors in RAID0 or a second GTX instead. But I'd rather get the X2 4400+ and buy the second GTX later on.

I picked that Abit board because it's one of the best SLI boards, next to the ASUS A8N Premium, but the Abit has more accesories and can OC better then the ASUS at least.

I would say the same system as darksparkz suggested, but if your friend is going to OC, the best choice would be the DFI nF4 SLI-DR board. I would also get the Thermaltake Shark instead of the Armor. IMO, while the Shark doesn't exactly have a side window (it has a mesh on the side), it looks better than the Armor, though the Armor is still a good case. A better alternative to the Armor are the CoolerMaster Stacker cases. I believe they sell those with side windows, but if not it's not that difficult to put one in yourself.

Also if your friend plans on going SLI I would invest in a PCP&C 510 SLI PSU. They may cost ~$230, but well worth the investment.

i already have a pwerstream 600 for him, i like that case very nice, but no he isnt going to oc, he isnt like me.... lol

Back