• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could my PSU have done this?....bad day.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

Had a bad day today.

Specs are in sig.

It started this morning. Got my WCing bleed and installed and was looking forward to pushing my 4400 further. I booted the computer at 2.8GHz and all looked good, but it locked up when I started running some benchmarks. I rebooted and went into the BIOS to increase my voltage. I figured now would be a good time to make sure my rails were at proper voltages, so I pull out my multimeter. I grounded the black probe and when I went to plug in the red probe into my 12V line, it sparks big time and my PSU shuts off.

At that moment I was scared to death, not my new computer. I turn it back on and everything looks fine. But when it boots starts to boot into Windows it crashes right before the boot screen. So I change my settings to the last known stable OC which was 2.7GHz @ 1.568V, but same thing happens. I then go and set everything to default settings and Windows boots up fine. I run a half hour dual P95 session to make sure everything was still stable, and all looked good.

I reboot the computer to see if it works at 2.7GHz again, but again no go, so I set everything back to default. On this reboot I noticed some lines would start flashing randomly around the boot screen. The boot process made it to the log on screen, but crashed when it got there. I reboot again, and this time I get a BSOD during the boot screen. I give up and decide to go on campus to get some homework done and try to rethink the solution.

When I got back from campus I decide that the BSODs may have been caused by a system file gone bad when the PSU sparked. I go and do a system recovery, but during the recovery my screen turns into dots and letters. I reboot and now my POST screen is nothing but ASCII letters and symbols. Worried that it's my graphics card I pull out another PSU A Fortron AX500 I have running in my file server.) I had laying around to make sure that the spark didn't damage the PSU. Same thing. Right then I was really worried, so I try booting the system with my 6800GT and it boots fine. (Right now reinstalling windows at 2.7GHz with it installed.) To get back to the story, I decide to test out the my 7800s individually. Both cards produce corrupt POST screens. At this point I am really stressed out. I may have just fried my brand spanking new 7800GTXs and to top it off I may have fried both of them.

Right now I have my Fortron PSU powering my system while I reinstall Windows. I am afraid that if I plug my PCP&C PSU back in it may damage my 6800GT as well and this is a card I don't want to loose after loosing my 7800s. What really got me worried is that it took awhile before I saw corruption in my display and am wondering that if after the spark that started all of this my PSU may have slowly killed my graphics cards.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

UPDATE: I was able to sucessfully install Windows at 2.7GHz with the 6800GT plugged in.

Last edited:
Well, it appears SLI doesn't work now. Both slots work individually, but when I plug both my 6800s in I don't get the SLI option in the nvidia control panel. Could this be due to the fact that I am now using my Fortron A500 instead of the PCP&C PSU?

EDIT: I reseated my graphics card for the 5th time and it seems now SLI works. Dont' really want to stress the system as I still have the Fortron A500 powering my system, so I don't know how gaming performance is yet.

Last edited:
You might need to enable SLI. AFAIK most SLI board uses jumper or card you need to flip to enable SLI for 2 video cards.

Back