• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2 Prem - boot from ITE ports?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
Has anyone been able to boot an IDE HDD from the red ITE ports or is this an impossibilty because Windows needs the driver loaded first? I installed a spare HDD on the primary ITE PATA port, but it hangs and then restarts when it reaches the splash screen when trying to boot to that drive.

I am also getting some kind of warning on the ITE boot scan that goes by so fast, I can't read it...something about U/66 is the only thing I can make out. The drive shows up fine in XP when I boot from the main drive (on the SATA1 port), but it DOESN'T show up in BIOS in IDE config on the Main screen (but is on the Boot menu for selecting boot order)?

It's not for anything major...I just want to have an extra drive that I can keep a clean install of Windows on for benching. I can do that by making it a primary on the blue connector, but I'd like it to not have to share bandwidth with the CDRW that's already on there...

Thanks!

Thanks Sen. You're booting from one of them on the red port? The HDD boots win2k3 fine when it's the primary on the primary IDE port (blue), but as the only drive on the primary ITE port, it gets to the splash and then reboots.

I really don't know if I have a setting wrong somewhere or what, but I've been through the IDE settings in BIOS so many times, I might have missed something. What I really don't get is that the drive doesn't show up in the IDE config (First Primary, First Secondary, Second, Thrid, etc.), but shows up on the Boot Priority list. I just d/l'ed the latest ITE drivers and that didn't do a thing.

Hmmm. I have the jumper for it on CS, but maybe it needs to be on Single/Master instead? Guess I'll give it a shot...

On an O/T note, that Mushkin I have is whipping butt on the 670 proc I have now :) I did my best SPi 1M tonight of 23.734s and had a couple of 9300+ Sandra and 10K+ Everest with it. If I can get this thing to stay cool enough at 1.65Vc/400FSB, it will really be sick :D

As a follow-up, the jumper didn't do anything as I expected. The UltraATA 66 error I was receiving turned out to be caused by me using a 40-pin cable instead of 80...duh.

It boots my 3rd 120GB IDE HDD from the ITE ports no problem...I don't know what the problem is with the 80GB HDD. Could it actually be a problem loading Server 2003 from there as opposed to XP Pro on the 120GB?

Sen, I know I saw you asking about a mobo that allowed the multi unlock somewhere else recently. Have you tried the EIST app from Panopsys?

If you ever want to see the POST. Just hit the pause key and it will stop for you. That way you can read any information that may zip by.

Actually, thanks for that tip! I still learn stuff on here, that's awesome :) I've rebooted so many times trying to get it to load that dang drive, I was able to piece the gist of the message together. I don't know if that works for the ITE scan, which happens after POST, but a good tidbit nonetheless...

Your welcome :D

I don't have an ASUS, but I do however have an ITE. I can pause the scan on my board with the Pause/Break key. I just hit enter and it resumes.

It could be a driver issue. Assuming you loaded the driver (hitting F6) during windos setup from a floppy you created, then perhaps booting into safe and updating the driver with a newer vesion from the asus website would help. I know the original drivers from the CD were problematic for me when first installing windows with this board. Drivers ARE the main issue, and maybe only major issue, with this board. Once you find a working match, stick with it. ;)

It is...at least I think it was. I installed XP on the drive on the ITE port using the driver from the CD to add the 3rd party driver and it boots just fine. It didn't dawn on me until after the XP install was half done that I had installed Server 2003 on that drive while it was on the primary IDE port and never needed to add the 3rd party driver at install time :bang head

I feel like an idiot :)

In order to get XP Pro to see the drives connected to the Red ports, you need a driver floppy, and need to hit F6 during the install. The ASUS CD can make one for you.

Make sure your floppy drive works! I had two bad drives - one in the new system, and one in the system I was making the driver disk on! The other system seemed to copy and make the disk, but the utility ASUS uses won't report an error if the disk is incorrectly written. The new floppy drive "seemed" to work (light came on, disk spun up, etc.) but was never reading the disc. I ended up making a disc on a friend's computer, verified it on another system, then swapped out the drive i the new system. Finally, I could install XP on the drives...

Yep, I know, but thanks for the reply. What happened was I installed the OS on the main IDE port (which didn't require the driver) and then moved it to the ITE port a couple of days later. Even though the drive would show up in the Boot Drive list and would start loading the OS, it would then stop and reboot. I installed the OS while it was on the ITE port, used the driver and all was fine...

Glad you got it working. I just wish I could figure out why it defaults to SATA eventhough I have a PATA w/t install already configured :bang head :shrug:

I think that is just the board default :( In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a setting for PATA, either SATA or SATA+PATA, so serial seems to be the primary option no matter what ;)

Back