• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-G northbridge fan annoying

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roYal

Well the fan is making a ton of noise. Is it safe to unplug it or will the northbridge fry? It's at the point where it's driving me insane.

Also, I've been out of the loop for a while. When I got my 2.4c and IC7-G it was the best on the market. What are the hot boards/intel cpus on the market nowadays so I can re-educate myself to the new stuff. Thanks in advance.

i would unplug it and clean it out if you can. mine was making a bunch of racket and i just took the fan off the heatsink. cleaned everything off and reattached it without incident. heard of them dying a lot so you may want to look at a passive cooling solution.

as far as the newest stuff on the market......there is so much crap out right now i wouldn't know where to begin. pci-e, sli, ddr2, dual core procs, dual chip vid cards, sata2, and mice that regenerate body parts like wolverine.

I would do all that I can to have some cooling on the NB. Its best to be safe than sorry.
I ended up getting a Swiftech, although you can get a free (just pay shipping) replacement from Abit.

You can probably get away with removing the fan (and leave the heatsink) if you are running at default speed. I would not try to overclock much running the stock N/B cooler in passive mode. You can try cleaning it and see if that helps, but those fans are notorious about the bearings drying up and making noise. I've heard some limited short term success about taking the sticker off the top of the fan and putting a tiny drop of light oil or other lubricant onto the fan. I think Abit is pretty good about sending a replacement fan if you ask 'em. Of course, there are lots of aftermarket N/B coolers available too.

The fan from the Vantec Iceberq4 CCB-A4C Copper VGA Cooler - Blue LED is a direct fit for the NB fan in all but the oldest IC7 boards. It is a ball bearing fan, rather than the sleeve bearing of the Abit original, and should prove to be a lot more reliable. Just remove the old fan from the NB heatsink (3 X tiny cross head screws) then remove the fan from the Vantec heatsink and fit it into place, being careful not to over tighten the screws. The screws go into slots in the aluminium heatsink rather than proper threaded holes. I came across this in a thread on the Abit Forum posted by calcal. That site is down for maintenance else I would have posted a link.

Abit has the worst NB fans I've ever dealt with. Every Abit board I've ever owned has the NB fan go out or start rattling within one year.

I had the same thing just happen to me. I went to Compusa and got a nb fan/heatsink for like $8,99.

I usually yank out some AMD K6 or K6-2 hsf and pop those sucks on with Arctic Alumina Adhesive.

Find an old POS and yank out those sinks... always good to keep em around.

oldnewbie said:
The fan from the Vantec Iceberq4 CCB-A4C Copper VGA Cooler - Blue LED is a direct fit for the NB fan in all but the oldest IC7 boards. It is a ball bearing fan, rather than the sleeve bearing of the Abit original, and should prove to be a lot more reliable. Just remove the old fan from the NB heatsink (3 X tiny cross head screws) then remove the fan from the Vantec heatsink and fit it into place, being careful not to over tighten the screws. The screws go into slots in the aluminium heatsink rather than proper threaded holes. I came across this in a thread on the Abit Forum posted by calcal. That site is down for maintenance else I would have posted a link.

i am definitely going to try that.

I have been running mine passive with no problems. My case is well ventilated, but there is nothing blowing on it directly.

My NB fan just started squalling to... I took it apart and put some 3m oil on it...seems to be fine now...

With a 120mm Side fan i was tempted to go passive.....I will get a swiftech I think though shortly..

Back