• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I don't know how to title this -- Numerous problems!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xbi0s

Registered
Okay.

Computer was running great: Abit IS7-V2, Pen4 3.0E, 1024 Mushkin Greenline, 6600GT -- No problems !

Shut down, etc, clean out case, disconnect most components, remove MOBO to tighten down Tower112 bolts/nuts... Install new fan onto tower.

Reinstall everything, double check all connections, all good.

Bootup... Letter's "n" and "p" have an extra pixel in them. P has one at the bottom right hand corner of the ) part of the P --- n has the extra pixel at the bottom of the right leg.

I think its weird, shrug it off -- continue booting... Windows XP load screen comes up, begins loading -- BAM!

Screen goes black, then four columns of red/green/blue pixels, you can tell there is definantely four distinct columns, plus the cursor shows up and can be moved around the screen, but windows never loads.

Reset CMOS, same deal -- Reboot into safe mode, windows loads!

Running on the stock gfx adapter for safe mode, reinstall nVidia drivers, computer works now... BUT

Try to load programs "Not enough available memory to run this program..." When I drag/drop, items skip across the screen as if I was running 128mb.

?!?!??!?! All this after a new fan installed! :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

Fresh install - Just started over, shes running like 128mb of ram :(
EDIT:

AWESOME!!! Reboot on the fresh install w/ the 6600GT stock drivers -- Screen shows nothing but stuff you cannot make out, then monitor turns off/on refreshing :(

Try to unplug that fan and see if the PC behaves. I'm thinking the PSU is just at it's limit before the fan and now it's overworked.

Check to make sure the capacitors is not leaking on your mobo, also it could be a video card problem, as for some reason my gf4 started to display weird letters on my monitors and when I changed video card it stopped. Last it could be your AGP slot, my really really really old abit mobo had bad agp slots, when you took out the video card you can hear the metal in the slot disintegrate.

Edit: could be PSU as well, I hope you have a decent PSU or else I would get one before the rest of your comp is gone :p

xbi0s said:
Fresh install - Just started over, shes running like 128mb of ram :(
EDIT:

AWESOME!!! Reboot on the fresh install w/ the 6600GT stock drivers -- Screen shows nothing but stuff you cannot make out, then monitor turns off/on refreshing :(

This was similar to the problems i was having, though originally thought to be my vid card, turns out it was a defective mobo... If you are able to, see about getting a replacement, otherwise hope and check to see if its something else.

Well. I will give her a try. For some reason I get the error 'out of virtual memory.'

Sigh. I dont get this :( Ill try driver cleaner, etc.

Even when rebooting into Safe Mode, I dont understand why the letters on BIOS have some extra pixels shaded.

Okay I cleaned off the drivers, loaded in driver pack 78.01.

When I scroll down on anything or move any boxes they lag like CRAZY.

aBit IS7-V2
GeForce 6600GT
Mushkin Greenline 1024mb

Running like a 386 -- Ran CPUstat and it shows up 3.07Ghz and 1gig ram.

Okay, sorry Im just reposting but its a pain in the *** going to different pages.

When I scroll down in IExplorer, it lags... Never did this before.

If I move _ANY_ program around the desktop screen, it lags around the screen.

BUT programs like AIM I can scroll up/down no problem.

I keep getting prompts for 'VGA Controller found'

Hc000 said:
Check to make sure the capacitors is not leaking on your mobo, also it could be a video card problem, as for some reason my gf4 started to display weird letters on my monitors and when I changed video card it stopped. Last it could be your AGP slot, my really really really old abit mobo had bad agp slots, when you took out the video card you can hear the metal in the slot disintegrate.

Edit: could be PSU as well, I hope you have a decent PSU or else I would get one before the rest of your comp is gone :p

Also is ur video card drivers installed?

Did you use driver cleaner in safe mode? You should uninstall them in regular windows, then reboot into safe mode and clean them. reboot to regular and install the new drivers, and then reboot into regular again. That lag is definitely video card related. I've had the same problem too with my gigabyte 6600gt... always it was the drivers.

I cant even get the damn driver cleaner to run! It says not enough avail memory to do so, yet everything else runs :(

Back