• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I will never buy an ASUS board again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

I recently sent back ASUS my motherboard for repair because the memory controller did not work right. But after they received the motherboard they said the motherboard arrived with broken CPU pin...when I packed the motherboard I'm sure there is no broken pin.. and..they are charging me $40 TO FIX THE PIN...I am going to call them tomorrow about this if they refuse to fix it without any charge, I will never buy an ASUS again. ..I mean..they are whining about a broken CPU pin that takes 5 sec to fix? I mean give me a break..I thought ASUS is good in RMA service.....

RMA# EK594318
P5LD2-UAYZ R1.01
90-MBL1A5-G0UAYZ
55MM861545

We have received this rma unit with damaged CPU socket pins. There is a $40 repair/replacement of the CPU socket. We will need a response regarding the payment (by Mondy, October 11, 2005) before it will be rejected without any further notice.

They also took few pictures.

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/5038/dscf00017nh.jpg

Maybe they have a trashed board handy for those photo ops :) I'd ask for a pic showing that socket and the S/N on the board in the same photo...assuming you know what your S/N was.

Odd that you had a problem like that on an Asus board anyway....they're usually pretty good, but if you do need something from them, they can be a pain to deal with.

You couldn't RMA it with the place you bought it from or have you had it a while? If I got a board and it wasn't working correctly right away, I'd return it to the place I bought from, not the manufacturer. Good luck...

Generally mobo manufactuers are good with RMA's I don't think ASUS would make up stuff just out of the blue to earn extra $40. But I think if they are questioning about the broken CPU pins then their company policy should be changed. The only mobo company I have dealed with RMA is Epox and MSI and both went smooth and painless.

did you put the plastic pin protector over the pins? when i sent my p5wd2-p back i'm pretty sure i read that they won't even accept the board if it doesn't have the cap on it.

I don't think they should charge you for something you did not break, however...

They said they are charging 40 dollars to replace the socket. I assume they won't "fix" a pin, but will only replace the damaged part. Replacing the entire socket would seem more reasonable considering the price.

Hopefully they will work with you on this. Right now Asus is the board to have. They should at least give you some time to work with thwm also. They need to put a stop on that "rejection" as they called it, and find a better way of corresponding with their customers. The last statement in their correspondence sounded a litle rude.

3DFlyer said:
I don't think they should charge you for something you did not break, however...

They said they are charging 40 dollars to replace the socket. I assume they won't "fix" a pin, but will only replace the damaged part. Replacing the entire socket would seem more reasonable considering the price.

Hopefully they will work with you on this. Right now Asus is the board to have. They should at least give you some time to work with thwm also. They need to put a stop on that "rejection" as they called it, and find a better way of corresponding with their customers. The last statement in their correspondence sounded a litle rude.

Exact same thing happened to me, bent CPU pins, which happened while I was replacing the plastic cap for RMA. I told them I was not going to pay the 40.00 and they told me "ok, your board will be rejected and sent back to you, they gave me 48hrs to pay. After like 2 weeks they ended up sending me a brand new retail P5WD2-Premium.

here is the email message they sent me on the 8/16/05.

"Please see attached pictures, as your product was received with BENT CPU PINS, which is not covered under the ASUS warranty. There is a $40.00 charge to have your product repaired. Please fill out the attached credit card form and fax back to me at 510-608-4511. If we do not hear back from you by 08/18/05, the product will be rejected and returned to you NOT repaired.

If you fax your request, please make sure to follow up with an email to verify that your fax has been received and your RMA has been processed for repair."

Last edited:
In gerneral, I've found Asus lacking in both overall quality and customer service. I've purchased motherboards, video cards and optical drives from them in the past and experienced roughly 60-70% RMA rate. Their RMA service has always been problematic and subsequent negotiations difficult at best. I've not purchased any Asus products for nearly 3 years now as a result.

I have had four experiences with Asus support. One was for a video card and it took me many tries to get someone to take care of the problem. It was very frustrating. However the next three times went without a hitch. Twice I rma'd mobos and each time they sent me a new one within two weeks without a hassle or a problem. Overall, that's not bad, but if they were trying to charge me forty dollars for something I didn't break I would be on the phone in a flash breathing fire. Seriously, an assertive phone call can work wonders. If you don't get the answer you want ask to speak to the supervisor. If you still don't get the right answer speak to the supervisor's supervisor. Eventually, someone there will realize that this is not worth fighting over and will give in. Good luck.

rseven said:
I have had four experiences with Asus support. One was for a video card and it took me many tries to get someone to take care of the problem. It was very frustrating. However the next three times went without a hitch. Twice I rma'd mobos and each time they sent me a new one within two weeks without a hassle or a problem. Overall, that's not bad, but if they were trying to charge me forty dollars for something I didn't break I would be on the phone in a flash breathing fire. Seriously, an assertive phone call can work wonders. If you don't get the answer you want ask to speak to the supervisor. If you still don't get the right answer speak to the supervisor's supervisor. Eventually, someone there will realize that this is not worth fighting over and will give in. Good luck.

Good job!! Sometimes you need that.

I tried to call them today but the RMA department is clsoed on weekends..so I emailed them instead. I'll probably try to wake up early monday and try to call them..because they said they will reject the mobo if payment is not made by monday.

did you put the plastic pin protector over the pins? when i sent my p5wd2-p back i'm pretty sure i read that they won't even accept the board if it doesn't have the cap on it.

Yes I hav the Plastic protector on.

Exact same thing happened to me, bent CPU pins, which happened while I was replacing the plastic cap for RMA. I told them I was not going to pay the 40.00 and they told me "ok, your board will be rejected and sent back to you, they gave me 48hrs to pay. After like 2 weeks they ended up sending me a brand new retail P5WD2-Premium.

wait..so you did not pay and they still send you a new mobo?

Yea I will try to do that on Monday morning...but what should I tell them? Just say the CPU pins were not broken when I send it back? If they the person I'm talking with saying it is their policy and all these bs?

^^^

What he said: Start w/nice, then firmly hold your ground if nice doesn't work, & finally, if you still don't get what you want, ALWAYS ask to speak w/a supervisor, and if required, the supervisor's supervisor, or finally, a marketing/sales mgr, if the supervisor you get doesn't resolve the issue, and claims they are the highest supervisor in the facility.

BTW - I've had only one RMA situation w/Asus, and like rseven, it went smooth as ice. Had my new board in 5 (Yes 5) business days - Chgo to Cali to Chgo (don't even ask me how they did it). And it was a P4P800 ver 1.02 and brand new, whereas my return was a ver 1.01.

The phone call only took around 20 mins total, and i had my RMA form emailed to me as the call was finishing up. Excellent phone rep: she even waited while I quickly dug the board out of the case to get the serial # off the printer conn.

As for trouble w/Asus products, I'm not sure what to say. I've been using thier mobos for years, and have found them very dependable, and usually very good w/thier BIOS upgrades & innovation (first with PAM/PAT on i865, first with 14X multi "lock free" on Prescotts, etc.)

Sorry to hear they're giving you an unreasonable hard time. Firmly, but politely, hold your ground. I'd suspect you'll get your way, in the end.

GL,

Strat

But the quesiton is..what should I say when talking to the supervisor or whatever? Just say I want it to have it replaced without any charge? What if they bring out their policy bs? Sorry I'm not a very good speaking person.

you just tell them its not your fault at all.. tell them you put in the plastic part over your cpu pins. its not your fault what they did to it. try to convince them to rma your board. if this doesnt work, speak to the next guy up in the chain of command. demand it. then the next guy all the way to the top. if it doesnt work, tell them you wont ever buy a asus board ever again and tell them you will tell your friends and the whole online community. this has worked for me everytime.. dont bring out the big guns right away, only as a last resort. you gotta do it with tact though, in a buisness like way. they will surly help you.

^^^

And stick like glue, to the line, "I packed it exactly as I originally received it" ! :shrug:

BTW, try to return items in original packaging, whenever possible (hope this last statement doesn't insult your intelligence). ;)

Strat

Bad news, I had an argument with them for a little while and tried to talk to their supervisor, but it does not work..they just refuse to replace/repair it for free, they just want my $40 bad. So I hung up and I let my cousin talk to them.(2nd call and he's a REALLY REALLY good at arguing). It still does not work..they need the CPU socket to be fixed to able to test it to see the problem I had...and blah blah blah...ok I was like..screw this..I'll pay them $40 and will never buy an ASUS board in the future period.

edit: they said the CPU pin can be damaged by not pulling the CPU out correctly...

Back