• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

file corruption, still happens at default speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clever-name

Registered
I am getting consistent file corruption on downloaded installer files. So I went back to stock settings. Then I downloaded and tried to install 9 different copies of SiSoft Sandra Lite. I chose this one since I had verified corruption with it when overclocked. Now, while running at default settings, 4 of the 9 will not install, failing during file extraction (after all the options are set). Each seperate file fails at a different % complete during the file copy/extraction.

I also get corruption errors on other downloaded installers.

I figured by running at default settings, the problem would go away, but it has not. Has anybody ever had file corruption caused by overclocking persist after turning the system down to default? Perhaps it has caused file system corruption... or worse damaged my HD/Sata controller/memory/something else??

Also I am occasionally getting image corruption while browsing the web.

While overclocked I was able to run memtest86 for a few cycles without error (before I got tired of not being able to use the system). I also passed many many hours of prime95, cpu burn-in, several passes of superpi, 3dmark05 loops and played half life 2 all the way through the single player story.

Last edited:
No malware, I can usually detect malware by "feel" within minutes of it infiltrating my machine, and I'm quite diligent about checking the process list for anomalies.

Anyhow, I may have figured this out. Still testing, but so far so good.

This motherboard (see sig for specs) came with BIOS 1013 which is the latest non-beta right now. When I initially set up this system, I installed the A8N-SLI chipset/mobo drivers from the included driver disk. I ran like that for a few days before updating to the newest drivers. It turns out Asus wants you to use the latest drivers BEFORE "updating" the BIOS to 1012 or newer, maybe 1010 not sure. The reason stated is to "avoid file system corruption". I suspect that since I had been running with the older drivers and the newer pre-installed BIOS, I may have gotten the file system corruption they warned about. I missed the warning since I already had the newer BIOS.

So I wiped the drive, did a complete (non-quick) NTFS format and fresh windows install. So far, testing indicates no file corruption problem.

have you rund "chkdsk" from the start>run>cmd>chkdsk???

i read this tip from sentential, when reaching for your highest stable oc, run this utility frequently to preven os corruption. has worked for me so far, i run it every time i get a lock up or pc wont boot due to high o/c.

have you checked your temps?

Back