• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to buy an amd64 system ... what should i buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdfreak04

First off this is where i'd like to buy everything because its close to me and they have a lot to choose from Http://www.canadacomputers.com

I would like to buld a amd64 939 socket for O/c .. i know the 3000+ is probably the best cpu to get... Is there any certain revisions of the cpu to look for that enable higher overclocking or better o/cing.... I've also heard that dfi boards are really good now adays

I am looking to buy these things only:
Motherboard SLI of course with best chipset ( i want it to be uv sensitive lol)
Cpu (crazy ocing)
Ram(crazy ocing) 1g at least
video card(even more crazy o/cing .. a card i can flash for sure :) )

thanks in advance
P.s I will buy the cpu and motherboard now.. videocard in the time to come
this looks like a good card to buy :p http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=415860

Also has anyone heard of the motherboard ati is making ???

if you need a large cache, get a san diego core.

if a large CPU cache is not needed, get a venice core.

As for RAM, get the lowest possible timings.

Timings mean soo much to AMD CPU's.

I woulden't bother with SLI... all I've heard about it is either not working properly, lots of problems and not noticing a major performance both - sometimes all those things.

Yep that DFI board is the best OCing board out there. Maybe the new DFI Experts are a little better, but I duno. Plus the DFI's are UV reactive too I think, at least I think the wires are.

Just get some high voltage 2x512MB ram to go with the DFI and you should be able to hit 2.7ghz with the 3000+. Both the 3000+ and 3700+ can hit 2.7ghz, being the 3700+ getting there a little easier. But some say it's not worth the extra money you pay just for the cache and multipliers, so the 3000+ can reach the same speeds the 3700+ can on air cooling.

high voltage ram has benefits, but usually has more maintenance invloved and having to actively cool the ram is also another problem, i kinda prefer TCCD/TCC5 its usually less stress on the board and PSU, because of lower voltage, also you have to get lucky and have a chip with a good mem controller that will let you get tight timings with high HTT...

all a matter of personal preference really.

Back