• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Dual channel Question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kalivos

Alright. I'm still a little confused on Dual channel. If I have two sticks of the same shenanigans, it'll run in dual Channel. Will having 3 sticks void the dual channel, and all will be forced to run in single channel? And would 3 sticks of 512 in single channel run faster than 2 in dual(I've heard arguments about this before).

With two sticks in matching DIMMS it will run in dual channel!

With 3 stick you will not be running in dual channel!

Running with 3 sticks will not be faster, you will just have more memory to go around but your overl clocks and bandwith will go down since you will be forced to run under 2T command rate and your memory controller will get hit.

Alright, thanks!

EDIT: So what would you suggest? Going with just two sticks running in dual channel, or 3 sticks overall for more memory? :shrug:

Last edited:
I have two sticks running in dual channel right now, I was just curious if it'd be better with another stick, things run fine for now though. I'll probably be going with a 2x1 gig kit when I upgrade to an A-64. Thanks.

Back