• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin XP-6400 Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yeormom

Registered
I've read through several posts of users commenting on their Mushkin memory. I recently got mine in and began stablity tests and so forth and so far, at the frequency the memory is designed for, it fails test after test after test. So, I'm asking for help from any Mushkin users out and about...

I have been using several memory tests, such as Memtest86 v3.2, and the only way it will successfully complete the tests without massive errors is to run the memory at DDR2-4300 with timings running off of SPD. Otherwise, the system chain crashes...I've ran the tests changing the speeds on manual timings and on spd timings. I did have to update the motherboards BIOS to 0422 so I would even have the DDR2-800 option. I am leaving all other settings on Asus default to attempt to further isolate the problem. Am I missing something big or did the memory not make the pain and torture of shipping? Any help would be greatly appreciated while Mushkin office hours are not avaliable.

System Components:
Asus P5WD2 Premium BIOS 0422
Pentium D 830 w/ XP-90
Mushkin XP-6400 2x1GB (991473a)
EVGA NVIDIA 7800GTX AC3
PC Power & Cooling 510 ASL

try one stick at a time. this will let you know if one of your sticks is messed up. if all goes well, then make sure you run them at their rated voltage, if you already did that, then post your bios settings.

onething, I have been having problems with memtest 3.2 as well (we are talking the windows based one) my problem is, it will be almost imposible to get my ram to run more than 3 hours before it blue screens, no matter what voltage nor timing. so I tried the bios one (memtest) and it went well, I then tried a couple of windows based mememory tests and they all went well, so I just stopped using memtest 3.2 since all other tests including gaming and DIVX converting goes well.

Thanks for the testing tip. I figure there might be an issue with memtest86 since it doesn't recognize the chipset like normally. I would install Windows and use some of my legit paid for diganostic software that actually works well but i cant even install windows before it crashes. Asus finally updated the USA support site today and I just put a new BIOS on, 0519, and therefore am running all of my tests again. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't take 30 minutes to produce decent results...

Back