• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Struck by lightning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nan0_man

Ok, so I have this xp2600 in my PC, the other night my electricity line was struck by lightning. Now when I boot, the monitor doesent turn on, (I have used both 2 video cards and the MB's VGA), then the fan on the 2600 stops? no boot nothing? I then have to remove the power cord and insert it into the power supply before it will try to boot again.

What part of it do you think is causing the non boot?

I'm going for the MB, but hey....what do I know.

Thanks in advance for the reply's ;)

I would take a guess and say it is your power supply. Mine did what you are saying(without the lighting stike) and it was a bad power supply. Try that first, its cheaper and easier to replace than a mb anyways. :)

Sounds similar to when I blew out my motherboard. I'd try replacing the mobo, but only after you get someone else telling you to do it. Most of the stuff I say is wrong, and it's a lot of trouble to replace a mobo, both physically and financially, and I wouldn't want to be held responsible for making you do all that work to find out that's not the problem... x.x;

Double check the power supply that was struck. Double check it by plugging only it into the wall. Dont hook anything else up to it. Then short out pins 3 and 4 on the motherboard plug to start the powersupply. If the fans kick on then I am a dumba$$ and it is probably the motherboard.

Happened to me several years ago. The MB cooked in an obvious way, mouse and keyboard the same. Through a Belkin UPS. They did honor the parts replacement warranty. PCI cards were fine. Monitor was fine.

daddyof2 said:
Then short out pins 3 and 4 on the motherboard plug to start the powersupply.

Oh God no! It's pins 13 & 14. (The green one and the black one next to it (but any black (Ground) wire will work ;)))

Cap'n Pedro said:
Oh God no! It's pins 13 & 14. (The green one and the black one next to it (but any black (Ground) wire will work ;)))
I've had power supplies where this didin't work. Shortting PS_ON to PWR_OK should work in that case (14 to 8 or green to gray).

Back