• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's In your toolbox?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albaholic

Like the title says...

Well mine has various screwdrivers and bits, (most of them worn pretty bad) and I'd be lucky if I had one set of bits that we'rent missing anything. Let's see some USB to ps2 adapters, Soldering Iron and solder, Electrical Tape. Multimeter. RJ45 tester & crimper, measuring tape.. pliers.. mostly standard stuff. What about you guys?

Who needs a toolbox? lol

My tools are spread all over the place :p I have an assortment of screwdrivers on my desk, old heatsinks in a box, some fans (Fan guards) in a box, some screws in a plastic bag, Stanley knife, Wire cutters, pliers all on my desk and loads of other stuff in another box, like AS5 etc.

:D

Well for computers...my black and decker rotary set, snap-on screw driver sets, electrical tape, buck knife (who needs a friggin splice tool). That's all ya need!

Albaholic said:
Like the title says...

Well mine has various screwdrivers and bits, (most of them worn pretty bad) and I'd be lucky if I had one set of bits that we'rent missing anything. Let's see some USB to ps2 adapters, Soldering Iron and solder, Electrical Tape. Multimeter. RJ45 tester & crimper, measuring tape.. pliers.. mostly standard stuff. What about you guys?
A box? For tools? To keep them safe an organised? That sounds like a good idea. Why didn't I think of that?

I have, in various places, a sears rotary tool (like a dremmel), 2 soldering irons (I want a nice soldering station), screwdrivers, sockets, allen wrenches, a DIP chip removal tool (most worthless tool ever, I can do it better by hand), PLCC removal tool, little grabber thing (have no idea what it's called), some bicycle tools (although not enough), several pairs of needle-nose pliers, a Swiss army knife I've had for about 10 years, a dmm with a blown 10-amp fuse (my bother made a mistake testing his car battery) and some other random things.

What I really want to get is a set of those wrenches that ratchet, like these:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...vertical=TOOL&pid=00942445000&subcat=Wrenches
I love those things.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good toolbox?

most of my tools are at work, and theres pretty much anything I could need for the job I do. Facom screwdrivers (standard and insulated), torx drivers, Britool spanners (combination and ratchet, metric and imperial), 1/2" and 1/4" drive socket sets, allen keys, various pin punches, crimp tools for various different kinds of connector, hole saws, draw wire, stretching tool for rubber sleeves, Bahco wire cutters, strippers and pliers, waterpump pliers, couple of different sized adjustable spanners, various HSS drill bits, DeWalt cordless 24v hammer drill, DeWalt jigsaw,Weller soldering iron and temp controlled station, Fluke DMM and, most important of all, a DAB radio.

seriously...a toolbox...good idea...

I usually just make people bring their stuff over. I can't be bothered to bring everything. All sorts of screwdrivers, spare screws, DMM, extra PSU, AGP and PCI video card, network card (PCI and USB), bunch of different recovery cd's.

Mine isn't so much a toolbox as it is... a house. I have a power screwdriver, drill, really bright flashlight... then I have some screws (somewhere) and there's some other stuff scattered around. But I'm too poor to keep parts from my old comps. The only time I buy new stuff is when the old stuff explodes =O

Too much for the quick reply box

My monster Steelcase desk is my toolbox...let's see

top right: All my system/driver CD's, old processors, old harddrives, digital calipers, micrometers, small salvaged case parts like switches, led's and plug-in's.
Middle right: All my old cards like tv tuners, modems, soundblasters, agp's, and NIC's. Adhesives: marine goop, plumber's goop, 2 kinds of jbweld, epoxy putty, model cement, silicone adhesive. GC electronics type 44 thermal goop in a 25cc syringe. Tapes: masking, celophane, packaging, duct, and blue painter's tape. Some paint markers in various colors.
Bottom right: Copper fittings of all sizes from 1/4" to 3/4", spools of wire, heatshrink, assorted transformers, assorted cables, a motorcycle coil, and salvaged powersupply parts like heatsinks, capacitors and power filters.
Top left (double height): jigsaw, black & decker "dremel" w/flexshaft, files, small saws like keyhole saws, some klein screwdrivers cutters and pliers, drill index, greenlee taper bits.
Bottom left:Fans of all sizes, small pcb powersupplies, cables, filters, motors, and some tubing fittings, and a 3 pack of black pantyhose (air filter media).
Center: screwdrivers, nuts/bolts from 8 years of computer building (a buttload), taps, microdrills, lenses, bearings, xacto's (pointed and flat-tipped), markers, micro srewdriver set, copper and aluminum blocks, some old waterblocks and components, picks of a hairy friend of mine in a pink miniskirt and a toolbelt (slow day at work before a holiday :D ) he lost a bet....badly. Some pics too of a stripper I used to know.

There's more but my fingers are getting cramped and my comma key is smoking.

Last edited:
here's whats in my room. All the big stuff, like drills,dremels, saws, all the other stuff, is in my shop.

toolbox
toolbox.jpg

drawers full of computer parts and other crap
box1.jpg
box2.jpg

box3.jpg

they say that a picture is worth a thousand works, so that would be like a 4000 word post. w00t:D

I have a small toolbox. It just has the usual stuff: screwdrivers, allen wrenches, wire cutters, etc. I have a huge box of computer parts and stuff as well.

Heh, I have about 7 tool boxes (big ones) and various cupboards full of tools I've only used a little, if at all. My main toolbox has the standard stuff everyone else mentioned in it.

Oh, and there's a sledge-hammer resting against my bed. Seriously.

Whoa nelly, here comes my list

+ 12 Screwdrivers w/ 4 bit sets
+ Power Drill
+ 3 Drill bit sets
+ Drillpress
+ Sanding wheel
+ Sandpaper
+ X-acto knives
+ Compound protractor
+ 12-inch Steel Carpenter Square
+ 2 Measuring tapes
+ Tapping set
+ Ratcheting Tap Wrench
+ BandSaw
+ ScrollSaw
+ TableSaw
+ 2 Jigsaws
+ 6 Hemostats
+ Caliper
+ Nail clippers
+ Wire Strippers
+ Soldering iron
+ 60w Heatgun
+ C-Clamps
+ Spring Clamps
+ Utility Knife
+ Syringe w/ soft tube tip
+ IPS Weld-On #4
+ Triangle Needle File
+ Square file
+ Rasp
+ Multimeter
+ Hammer
+ Zip-Ties
+ Floral wire
+ Aluminum Tape
A pile of scrap plastic, and an assortment of dummy parts to get measurements from.

9mmCensor said:
A hammer.
First of all, since everyone is like Toolbox??? I keep one because I do take most of my tools everywhere to work on my friends computers... Other than that, my tools look a lot like shellshock. People love seeing me pull out the hammer from my toolbox. But I usually reserve it for those situations where beating on things makes a computer magically start working again

If you can name a tool, I most likely have two. I work as a maintenace tech for a local apt management company. (LYNCO) I do keep a large husky tool bag in my car at all times because I am on call two weeks out of the month. The onely thing that is better than tinkering with a computer is going shopping for tools that I probabaly dont need, but still want. :)

I use to be the Manager of the Tools and Hardware section of a local hardware store.
Tools? I have tons. I keep screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches and screwdrivers in every room of my house. I also have multiple toolboxes/bags for different needs full of tools. Bags/boxes for auto work, computer, networking, soldering, plumbing, carpentry etc....

various screw driver, wire cutters, a dremel type thing called a rotozip, screws lying allover the place, electrical tape, and the only two tools a handyman ever needs: duck tape brand duct tape and a BIG hammer

you know what they say, if all else fails, get a bigger hammer :)

Back