• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need expensive RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funkycoldmedina

Hi guys,

I'm very new to OC and not sure what RAM i should use. I've already read NinjaZX6R's RAM Q&A, but that is a bit too pro for me.

My wish is a 3000+ at about 2,3 or 2,4. (BTW, does it have to be a lbll?). Other Hardware will be DFI nF3, PowerColor X800 Pro (Perhaps ViVo),Zalman CNPS 7000B. I think 2*512MB should be enough.

Thanks a lot!

PS:Do you think this combi is good enough to play bf2 at 1152 high?

BF2 requires 2gb RAM for best performance. As for the price, you get what you pay for. DFI's are especially picky about their memory and if you put value in it, it will reject it. For best OCing performance, go with the 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix, ordering mine in about 20 minutes :)

2GB for BF2 on high settings. You don't need "expensive" RAM, just quality RAM. OCZ, Corsair, or Kingston all make good RAM. Start with 1GB, then get more later.

funkycoldmedina said:
Hi guys,

I'm very new to OC and not sure what RAM i should use. I've already read NinjaZX6R's RAM Q&A, but that is a bit too pro for me.

My wish is a 3000+ at about 2,3 or 2,4. (BTW, does it have to be a lbll?). Other Hardware will be DFI nF3, PowerColor X800 Pro (Perhaps ViVo),Zalman CNPS 7000B. I think 2*512MB should be enough.

Thanks a lot!

PS:Do you think this combi is good enough to play bf2 at 1152 high?
:welcome: to the forums.....
I'd definately be looking at 2GB if you want the best experience with BF2. I'd say get good ram but don't spend a ton of money on it. Really no need since you're gonna be only around 2.3-2.4 on the cpu. If you go with 2GB of ram be prepared to spend about $250 and if you go with 1GB spend around $100-150.

Thank you!
I think I'll give this a chance
1024 MB Value Select Kit ; 2 x 512 MB Kit 200/400 MHZ Model: Corsair VS1GBKIT400 / CL 2,5 (Dual Channel CL3) for "only" 88,- EUR. Is that ok for my OC aiming?
Crucial Ballistix's are a bit too costly for me. 148,- EUR for same size.

Back