• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone A+ certified?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

usp8riot

I've took a college course plus and am an intermediate, maybe advanced PC user compared to the average joe but still weary of taking the test. I've held off a year, for one, because of the $300 I have to spend on it and don't know if I'll ever be ready. I guess saying I'm ready is to think I can pass it, which I never try to get big-headed about a test and am always hesitant. Anyhow, does anyone know the average success rate and/or want to share their experience taking the test?

A+ not worth the paper it's printed on if you live anywhere with a population over 100,000

It was a pretty easy test, if you're not taking any classes pick up a sybex, it will give you a good idea of whats going to be on it (general computer knowlege isn't enough to pass, but once you know what's on it you will do ok)

i found software to be a tad tougher than hardware , but thats just me that speed read through the book during a family reunion.

if you're in college anyway i wouldn't bother, i sure wouldn't have.

i've got 2 associate's degrees and my A+. What are people lookin' for right now? (at least in my area) Unix Admins, COBOL programmers, and SQL programmers. There is no, 0, zip, nada, zilch want/need for IT here in WV. I'm still here because my wife is going to college to become a medical assistant/phlebotimist (if she decides to dual-degree like i did). She'll have a better job in state than I ever will. There is a HIGH demand for medical professionals on all levels.

However, this may be different in other areas of hte country.

The reason I ask is I asked three of the local computer repair shops and two asked if I had my A+ and the third couldn't give a crap. So I assume it would do me some good. I've been doing carpentry for about 8 years since out of high school and almost the whole time a computer geek also. Carpentry sucks *** sometimes and computers are where it's at to me. I couldn't care if I make minimum wage and sweeping the place at first, atleast it's something to do with pc's. Anyhow, thanks for the opinions.

The A+ certification has always been, and will always be 100% useless.

It consists 100% of either common knowledge you should have before even opening a computer, or knowledge that has no value whatsoever.

I feel bad for anyone who wastes the money they could be using towards education for a real cerification - or better yet - a degree.

Honestly, us people that know computers so well should make a real certification program... Not this A+ crap...

I figure just get a A+ and Net+ as basic stuff...get a simple job to get by while working to get your other, better cert's ala CCNA, etc. etc.

its all worthless. comptia isn't worth squat, and it isn't worth credit in the SUNY system, or any other credible college.

Cert's are worthless to college Lionsault...It's worth it to a job recruiter. Some people skip college and get cert's instead...

TollhouseFrank said:
i've got 2 associate's degrees and my A+. What are people lookin' for right now? (at least in my area) Unix Admins, COBOL programmers, and SQL programmers. There is no, 0, zip, nada, zilch want/need for IT here in WV. I'm still here because my wife is going to college to become a medical assistant/phlebotimist (if she decides to dual-degree like i did). She'll have a better job in state than I ever will. There is a HIGH demand for medical professionals on all levels.

However, this may be different in other areas of hte country.
HAHA. COBOL. I think I have a cobol book around here somewhere. Its like a freaking antique though.

A+ is good if your a kid and want a tech support or computer service job.

The only thing really good about it is that you can work on a computer without voiding the warrenty.

^ not on a laptop, which is really the only piece of hardware that would be "worked on" that anyone that knows about computers would need a warranty for anyway.

kayson said:
Honestly, us people that know computers so well should make a real certification program... Not this A+ crap...

I fully agree. BUT! The a+ isn't completely useless. It's more like it's an investment into the future. A lot of large companies like to see it on paper even before they let you in the door.

Back