• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building New 24.7 Server, Help With Specs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

need to build a new 24.7 file, ftp, and local server for multiple systems... so i was thinking...

Processor: AMD Opteron 146 - $150
Motherboard: Need Help Choosing (PCIE, 5-10 Sata Slots, Sata Raid, Gigabyte lan)
Memory: 2GB 512x4 - $200
Case: Thermaltake Stacker - $150
Video Card: 6600GT PCIE - $150
Hard Drives: $1100
x1 36gb OS Raptor
x4 500GB Deskstar (not sure which raid)

Operating System: Already have an extra copy of XP Pro sp2 lying around retail, but might be server 2003, altho i hate it

my budget is gonna be around $2000 and from the setup ive seen if anything needs to be changed im at 'bout $1800

already have psu, dvdburner, monitor, heatsink and the small stuff

Fr3@k3r said:
thx lord...

and i know that blunt, but i want future OS upgradeability.. since the new Server OS is heavy on graphics like Vista

Well your really don't need a good graphics card for a file server. In fact you don't even need that powerful of a computer. All it is there for is to store files. I don't even have a monitor for my file server. I run Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. Any work I need to do on it is done via RDP.

I say, if you have an older computer laying around, use that for your file server and invest your money on as much hard drive space as you can afford, or use that money to build better client computer(s) where the power is more needed.

You only really need that power say if you are running an application server where your applications need that kind of power.

theres no way an OS is gonna bring down even a GF2 MX.
onboard video is more than enough for anythihng new OS's in the next decade are gonna dish out.
I would run 2x36gb's in RAID 1 and 4 larg IDE HDD's in RAID 5, the savings in video card is about 100 bucks, then add 300 for a RAID 5 controller and a nohter 36gb raptor and your at your limit.

to tell the truth you dont actually need a video card on your server most of the time. On our server we just stick a 2 meg PCI card into it when we ned to be onstie to work on it, otherwise you can just remote desktop in.

Also, are you going Socket 939 or 940?

I don't think you should spend that much money on a 2GB OCZ Titanium ram...even 2GB OCZ Value ram should do fine.

And you definitely don't need a good video card, even for Vista, I'd say maybe even video cards for $50 should be great for Vista and newer OS. I'd spend the money on a good storage system and some nice HDDs.

Trust me, you'll be happy if you get the Titanium. My friend fried the CSV RAM on his server and wasn't covered by warranty. And also, go with a cheapo video card just to be safe, maybe an X300 SE.

dont even waste ur money on the raptors not enough strain on the OS to need a raid 0 just run a small 60GB for ur OS then a large raid 5 with a good card if you want a fast raid make sure you get a server grade board that will support 66MhZ pci cards and pick up a 66Mhz raid 5 card compared to the regular 33Mhz pci slots

clockless said:
dont even waste ur money on the raptors not enough strain on the OS to need a raid 0 just run a small 60GB for ur OS then a large raid 5 with a good card if you want a fast raid make sure you get a server grade board that will support 66MhZ pci cards and pick up a 66Mhz raid 5 card compared to the regular 33Mhz pci slots
Or perhaps a newer PCI-express board/card...

Back