• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! I'm losing the performance war!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

NO! A friend of mine who lives on my floor here in the dorm is upgrading. He has a 3Ghz P4C, 512mb of dual channel memory, an asus p4p800 deluxe, and an FX5950 ultra. My system completely dominates his as it is a 2.65Ghz Venice, X800pro (640Mhz core :p ), a single 512MB stick of UTT BH-5, and a DFI NF4 infinity. Well, my dominance ends next week when his 7800GTX, asus A8N32-SLI, gig of patriot 300Mhz memory, OCZ PSU, and X2 3800+ come in.

Basically, I need the minimum cost to beat him with upgrading my system. 1 thing is that I need a new motherboard, because I don't like what I have. Another thing to remember is that I am a much better overclocker than him. I need to beat him in most benchmarks or else I will feel really bad. Used stuff isn't bad either. I am really iffy about doing crossfire or SLI. I have some ideas, but they would involve a ton of money. I wouldn't like to spend over $500 as I have in the last week spent $200 on 500 gigabytes of much needed hard drive space. Thanks.

I am thinking an X1800XL is on the shopping list?

Oh man, I am screwed in the graphics department.

Easy there tiger. Let's not act like your **** just got smaller or anything.

It is only a computer. Take a step back and figure out what a good rig to build will be and then slap down some real pwnage. We all want to have the best rig in the world but only a solid build will do that. Doing the minimum to get there at best gives you the extra milimeter you need to impress the ladies. Trust me, that will only put you into an upgrade cycle that will get more expensive as time goes on. Building a solid rig that you can take into the future (and that he can't beat easily) is the way to go here.

Last edited:
ehh...

Why is it a war? if he try to rub your face in it, you just pull out your credit card statement that's completely paid off and say "Yea, but I'm not paying for my computer still.... and it's not costing me another x% each time"

You may wanna upgrade to a gig of RAM, but other than that, your solid.

Your computer is not an extension of what dangles between your legs. So what if he has a faster system? You know what he doesn't have a lot of now? Money.

Keep your current system until you need to upgrade. Somebody else having a faster system is not a good reason to upgrade.

Ah, ok. Only thing I really could use is a faster processor (not dual core) and more mem anyway. I can crank everything up in any game already, so I guess upgrading the videocard is pointless for the moment.

Malpine Walis said:
Easy there tiger. Let's not act like your **** just got smaller or anything.

It is only a computer. Take a step back and figure out what a good rig to build will be and then slap down some real pwnage.
True, except the A8N32 SLI is the real pwnage! My buddy is upgrading to the A8N32 with 4400 and a monstrous Asus 7800GTX top that will just blow my system away. Right now I've decided to get myself a 4400 because my 3000+ winnie is the slowest piece in my system.

Basically if we don't have enough money for the A8N32 we're just going to have lesser systems for awhile :bang head

...oh to have money to spend on whatever I wanted. But, since you have it burning a hole in your pocket. I'd go with dual 6800 GT's/Ultra's, the equivelent CPU, and double the memory. That should put you over top of him. Stil dont' know why you'd want to spend any amount of cash to have a "better" system than someone else. Seems like a waste of perfectly good money to me. You wait 1-2 months and you'll be able to get better than what he's ordered for less than what he's paying now. But hey, it ain't my money, and I ain't gonna spend it for you.

watercool? everybody gets jealous at watercooling. those UV tubes of water make EVERYBODY jealous.

-1cem4n

1cem4n said:
watercool? everybody gets jealous at watercooling. those UV tubes of water make EVERYBODY jealous.

-1cem4n

Good idea. I know of 2 people that have watercooling that actually looks cool, but their comps are athlon xp's.

Oh, and about the dual 6800GT's or Ultras, I sold my 6800ultra on ebay yesterday for almost as much as I bought it for because my X800pro lays down some serious pwnage on it. I have gotten my GPU to 650Mhz 100% stable now.

Well, I know for a fact that that 3800+ he is getting will be the bottleneck in the system. Knowing him, I don't think he could get it over 2.6Ghz, and that is thinking conservatively. More likely he'll get it to 2.4Ghz or so. If I can get my processor up to at least 2.8Ghz and have 2gb of ram, I should at least be real close to him.

Tell the kid to give me his p4 3.0c, his ram and his vid card (old rig), and then i'll lay down some serious pwnage LOL

but really, don't upgrade. screw upgrading. you have a good rig as it is. Be thankful for what you have (HAHHAHA :D)

Wah.

My system is a heck of alot slower than most people's, but mine can stay running for months at a time and it can do everything I need or want it to.
Keep your ego seperate from your possessions and your money away from your pride.

9mmCensor said:
Get more RAM. That ought to be your priority. 512 is weak.
Best idea !

Do it for yourself .... thats about all you really need .

Last edited:
Captain Slug said:
Wah.

My system is a heck of alot slower than most people's, but mine can stay running for months at a time and it can do everything I need or want it to.
Keep your ego seperate from your possessions and your money away from your pride.

Wise words. Lots of people here would do best to heed them. Including myself on occaision ;)

Yes Look at my rig below and i anit really botherd about upgrading until i find out i really need it i.e looking at little things such i.e ram ,a new graphics card will gain me a system preformance boost.

Back