• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best 2x1gb for under $280

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentbad

getting rid of my ocz el pl rev2 4x512 and need some advice on what good 2x1gb pairs are out there. way too many problems trying to oc 4x512 of ram. also i have a ic7-g which can only hit 2.8 vdimm which is why i used all tccd.

Last edited:
CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
if you can spend 300 bucks on 2gigs, then get crucial ballistix. wanna know why?

look here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67762&page=1

i like the results but there all for amd systems. the g.skill looks like the better deal for me because i just wanna break the 4ghz mark with my 3.2e which im trading for a non C0 stepping. was pretty nice being able to drop that multi to 14 and watch how far i could push the ram. is it just the D0 and C0 that have the multi unlock or what?

agentbad said:
i like the results but there all for amd systems. the g.skill looks like the better deal for me because i just wanna break the 4ghz mark with my 3.2e which im trading for a non C0 stepping. was pretty nice being able to drop that multi to 14 and watch how far i could push the ram. is it just the D0 and C0 that have the multi unlock or what?

I think the D0 Is locked multi.

i went with the g.skill after reading about the ballistix crapping out after only a few days or a month. it would be nice to use the 14x multi and take the ram too 286FSB for the 4ghz mark but for now ill just settle with 250.

I have a pair of the ZX coming for $217 from the egg, those are the best bang for the buck 2 gig kit RIGHT NOW, they have been known to hit 270, All I need is 250...

$300 for a 2gig kit is insanity i'm sry...

I figure thats why I have a chip with an 11 multi so 250HTT with great timings on 2gig kit is badass enought, although close to 300HTT with 2gig kit is wonderful $300 for it is not !!

Last edited:
Wow.. I place the order this morning for G.SKILL ZX from newegg.com soon after [Out of Stock] lucky me! :)

I got those GSkills and I cant get over 222 with them.
This sux I was expecting and hoping for at least 245-250 after seeing them posting 270 on Xtrme forums :shrug:

I messed with them for hours last night, nothing helps, looser timings, more voltage, dram settings. Nothing helps lol.

2gig is sweet though holy smoothness, no lag at all in windows while prime95 is going, games seem much much smoother especially quake4 with ultra settings.

Even running the GSkills with a divider they are still a much better bang for your buck than spending another $100 to run 1:1. This running 1:1 stuff is just a big waste of money. Save your money for higher quality booze!:)

rcillig said:
Mushkin Redline 2 (1gig*2)gig sets go on sale on the 18th I think it is.... they are listed as $331 from Mushkin but that price will fall once dealers get them.

http://mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?ID=273

I think I've found my next purchase... I've used (2*1gig) OCZ PC3200 Plat (Good stuff - doesn't overclock well) and I'm getting ready to return my G.skill PC4000 because the stuff is going bad. I've only had it for about 2 weeks and at stock speed I'm starting to get random BSOD in BF2 and memtest is reporting errors. So I'm either going to order Crucial Ballistix or wait a couple days an order the new Redline.

If you want to do some serious overclocking I would suggest Crucial Ballistix. Otherwise I would suggest some Crucial Value.

Back