• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zero00

Registered
I installed my 160gig HDD on my new pc i built, but my computer is only saying its a 130 gig HDD... How do i get it to read the full 160gigs?

Zero00 said:
I installed my 160gig HDD on my new pc i built, but my computer is only saying its a 130 gig HDD... How do i get it to read the full 160gigs?
Windows XP, by default, has a limitation of ~130GB for HDDs. You need to configure the drive for Windows XP using a utility from the HDD manufacturer to use partitions bigger than ~130GB. Go to the manufacturer's website and download the appropriate utilities. If you plan to install Windows on a partition greater than 130GB, then you need to run the appropriate utility off a bootable floppy or CD prior to installing Windows.

I used partition magic to increase my hdd drive to 150gigs i guess thatl do for now. Thanks.

Back