• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget SMP Challenge!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David Coleman

Ok guys, with all the Opteron deals out there, I started to second guess my recent Xeon LV/PC-DL setup I picked up for a song. So to anybody who put together one of these dirt cheap Opty 240 setups that were in the cyber deals or anybody else who has a budget SMP rig, I challenge you to a benching battle:
PCMark 2005: 4715
PCMark 2004: 6173
Crystal Mark (available here):92872

And any other system benchmarks you deem relevant. Any takers?

Attachments

• 92872.jpg
    92872.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,135
Last edited:
well i think the optys will do better in memory intensive apps. also you have the advantage of oc. to set your clocks even, set those xeons to stock and then it would be a true competition.

Untill then, its oc xeon vs stock opteron. Opterons dont oc much at all btw.

ryanmartini said:
...Opterons dont oc much at all btw.

I'd be inclined to disagree.. With the K8N-DL and clockgen, you can achieve at least some overclock.. people with 244's and 246's often reach around 2.4ish ghz.. Which ain't bad for the chips they are - earlier A64's...

And just wait for maybe a month (or a year.. whatever) until the E stepping opterons are availiable.. some are expecting venice-like overclocks..

Thats what I'm waiting for.. hopefully AMD finally decides to ship them, and hopefully Asus releases a bios with a functioning PCI / PCI-E lock...

I figured since this is overclockers forum, that overclocking would be a requirement for any challenge or competition.

And since a couple of guys are breaking 3 ghz on the new optys on xtremesystems I figured it would be a landslide in the opty's favor. The NF4 chipsets rock for OCing last I checked.....

Any takers?

David Coleman said:
I figured since this is overclockers forum, that overclocking would be a requirement for any challenge or competition.

And since a couple of guys are breaking 3 ghz on the new optys on xtremesystems I figured it would be a landslide in the opty's favor. The NF4 chipsets rock for OCing last I checked.....

Any takers?

The 3GHz Opty's that are you are refering to are skt 939 and has nothing to do with any smp system.

David Coleman said:

Any takers?
Ya its not really fair. But the life of the opteron will last much much longer. Support Dual cores and PCI-E

I dunno how good they are, but the 144 Opterons are based on the San Diego core (FX-55), and they overclock like gods.

jcw122 said:
I dunno how good they are, but the 144 Opterons are based on the San Diego core (FX-55), and they overclock like gods.
it does not matter those are 939, and they are not SMP ready. Please stop briging these up.

Hmm, I did not realise that the E steppings were not out. I have two of them here from, err....well....I just do. I will make a new thread.

Vengance_01 said:
it does not matter those are 939, and they are not SMP ready. Please stop briging these up.

Yes, they are 939, but they are still opterons. The dually opterons should clock SIMILARLY to the 1xx series. Thing about the 1x's is that:

A) You get better motherboards
B) You get better ram

But, the chips themselves are similar. The 1xx only have one HTT link enabled (for internal) The 2xx have two. The 8xx have 3. Aside from that, they should be MOSTLY similar.

We haven't seen any E stepping DUALLY Opteron results yet, because they have been all but unavailiable. Now its time for me to go knock down highendtoys door and see where he got his ;- ]

icyicy said:
ECC REG rams oc not good.

Ehh.

OCZ Low Profile server ram clocks on the K8N-DL to around 240.. with a divider, you should be able to hit some decent HTT speeds...

Like I said - its not great, but its far from being terrible...

David Coleman said:

Any takers?

New opterons, which are the 1-series. I dont believe he have dual rev e optys yet.

David Coleman said:
Well, I can offer a dual core result if that counts for anything. My SMP rig (2x PIII-800E) isn't working ATM.

830D @ 14x 250FSB = 3.5ghz
P5WD2
2x 512MB Corsair Value @ 250mhz 4/4/4/12
X800XL
4x 74GB Raptors on the ICH7R RAID 0
crystalmark8yd.jpg

PCmark05: 6270

ryanmartini said:
New opterons, which are the 1-series. I dont believe he have dual rev e optys yet.

I don't see why they wouldn't. They have had the dual cored opterons for quite a while now.

JCLW said:
Well, I can offer a dual core result if that counts for anything. My SMP rig (2x PIII-800E) isn't working ATM.

830D @ 14x 250FSB = 3.5ghz
P5WD2
2x 512MB Corsair Value @ 250mhz 4/4/4/12
X800XL
4x 74GB Raptors on the ICH7R RAID 0
crystalmark8yd.jpg

PCmark05: 6270

Thats cool. Looks like the dual cores are about equal in peformance clock for clock (probably a little slower due to the increased pipeline over the prestonia/northwood). Looks like you pick up alot of points in crystalmark due to that fancy schmancy video card ya got there :)

Well, I bit for a pair of the cheapo 240's.. Although my system isnt particularly budget.. But.. Chips were ~125, mobo ~200, Ram ~275..

So.. thats about as budgety you can get with opterons.. We'll see what kind of scores I can get while waiting for the E stepping 246's to ACTUALLY be released...

i think you guys should post your budgets that you spent on these machines..

especially the thread starter...

Back