• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC that used to be stable, isnt anymore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightStalkerX6

Registered
I've been kind of MIA and during the time i had my system running at stock. I pulled up my notes and running the exact same settings as before, it's unstable. Before, (if i remember correctly) I would usually just get an error in prime95 when I was testing in small incriments, but now it reboots my system in under 30 minutes almost everytime.

p4 530 lga775
abit aa8xe
kingston hyperX 1gb ddr2 pc5400

260x = 3.9ghz
1:1ram
1.5625 vcore
1.95 ddrv
1.5nb

I've tried a dozen combinations today, upping the vcore a notch, down a notch, ddrv up and down, even tried out different timings (I never messed with ram timing before) and tried out the different settings with both sbd and auto. nothing. anyone know why this is?

I'd go through working up from stock again. The limit on the cpu/ram may have just lowered. I can't remember the technical terms...

Vcore seems a little high. I wonder if the processor degraded? Maybe you need to pull the heatsink off, clean it up, and then reinstall with fresh Arctic Silver. If you haven't upgraded the BIOS, the newest one available really works good on these AA8XE mobos.

I am having a similar problem with my main rig (in sig). It will run fine for ~24 hours, then out of the blue while under a load, it crashes. When im in BF2 i hear some audio distortions before it crashes (it crashes in other stuff too, so I dont think that BF2 is doing it). Windows reports no errors in the Event Viewer, so I dont think that any memory or video problem is tripping it, they almost always log an error in my experience.

Im thinking that its doing this because I recently pushed to 4GHz briefly, but I wasnt running any volts too high (CPU was at 1.48, mem & NB @ stock), and memory was well within spec due to a divider. It did choke a couple of times because I had to set the PCIe freq higher to get the OC remotely stable enough for a screeny.

Also, I installed a controller for a few fans, and ive been running the one for the PWMs a little lower, and even with sinks, they can run anywhere from 58-62c. Would that be high enough to cause problems?

Im running a torture test between SETI and Prime while closely monitoring stuff to see if i can pinpoint the cause. Otherwise I will bump the voltage on my chip a little and see if that helps.

Hazmat, you have an AG8. I used to have one and found they O/C best with an updated BIOS and if you leave the PCI-E set to auto. Also, raising the N/B voltage seems to help..

Yeah, I know about the PCI-e thing. It just plays havok with my system when the auto setting has it at 112. I could barely take a screenshot at 4GHz before it would crash and I would find a logged error about the video card (obviously the PCIe freq). My BIOS is at v24, I made sure to upgrade when I saw that they recalibrated the CPU temp.

I raised volts on the cpu a little above stock because it was drooping a little too far during my prime-seti load test, and it seems to be doing to trick so far.

I still dont get why it was running fine for months and months at this OC (216) and then it was crashing. The only thing i did around then was put in the fan controller, thats also when i pushed up to 4GHz.

Back