• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No video signal, tried everything I can think of.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mill

Registered
I installed new RAM, but forgot to set my timings back to default, and had to reset my CMOS. Before I did, I noticed my video signal went out, but its usually because the monitor cable gets loose and I didn't think much of it.

I reset the CMOS, and no longer get the 'System failed memory test' voice, but my video still didn't start. I checked the cable and it was fine. The system SEEMS to be booting, but I still have no signal.

I tried swapping in a different video card, didn't work. I tried putting it in the secondary (8x, i think) slot, didn't work. I don't know what else to try.... any help?

well... does your monitor cable plug into the back of the monitor (maybe it came loose there)

Yeah, it was. I made some progress:

It turns out its a problem with my RAM slots. If I plug RAM in to my third or fourth slot (A2 or B2), my computer boots. If there's a piece of RAM in the first or second, the computer won't boot.

Please, please, please don't tell me this means I need a new MOBO. I really hope not. Is there any way to troubleshoot a broken RAM slot?

No, I mean, any way to find SOLUTIONS to a broken slot :)

64 bit 3800+
7800GT
74 gig raptor HD (10kRPM)
Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe
4x512 Corsair DDR3200

wel if it doesnt work with your ram in it there is a problem .. i dont own that board personally but if you cant get one stick to run in a couple of the slots than theres a problem. have you tried relaxing the timings when inserted into the slots in question ?

Well, I set the motherboard to automatically choose the timings itself. checking cpuz, it set them at 2.5-3-3-7, which is what they should be for this RAM. Won't boot still.

Update - It started working now, with RAM in all 4 slots. Slight issue still:

CPUZ shows 2 gigs of RAM. rightclicking on my computer shows 1 gig of RAM. Computer doesn't seem to be running any faster, benchmarks are the same... is it not reading the RAM? How does CPUZ still see it? How can I check if all 2 gigs is actually being used?

Back