• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to unlock my motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

castroman

My brother posted something simmilar to this but i don't think it properly conveyed the problem.

I tried searching the forums for and answer to my problem but only found my borhters post

Mother Board Specs

I have an HP m370n pc. I recently bought an upgrade of RAM for it. It meets all the specs that where posted on the HP website. But doesnt work. I contacted the company that produced the RAM and they say that factory made mobos have there settings locked and therefore the CAS latency cannot adjust from 2.5 to 2 for my new RAM to work. So im hoping maybe one of you know how to unlock it or change it to allow us to use RAM with a CAS latency of 2.

If HP has locked down the mobo, try googling a search for unlocked HP bios updates/flashes. Locked down means locked down, so unless you can find an inside cheat to unlock the bios (unlikely) expect to be stuck at cas 2.5

I tried similar searches for Dell bios stuff back when I had a Dell (haha, laugh it up) but came up empty. Seems the tech departments with the OEMs are tight lipped on secrets and such. Can't say I blame them, but cummon - someone on the inside must have the real scoup! :p

Well if i can't unlock it 'm jsut gonna get a new mobo and case and reuse my processor and everthing else with my new ram.

Dell, HP, Compaq, etc.... don't want you changing the setting in the BIOS. They lock the firmware to you can't buy a $500 computer and ramp it up to the speed of a $1,500 computer. If you want the speed of a $1,500 computer, they want you to pay for it. It is not likely you will be able to get you HP to recognize the CAS 2 mem. You will have more flexability for upgrading if you buy a quality mobo and build your own rig.

Back