• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech G5 Impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobmanfoo

Disabled
I just upgraded from the mx518 a few days ago and am growing on the G5 though it has it shortcomings, i have no complaints whatsoever with performance but i do with the 'features', heres a list +'s and -'s compared to the mx518 IMHO

+
- weight system works as expected, but i was skeptical of the balance claim but you really can feel the difference with the weights in different positions, and it comes with a cool case
- response and precision are better, thanks to the laser and full speed usb, i didn't think it could get any better than the mx518..... but i felt the same way when i upgraded from mx510 to mx518
- cruise buttons are alot easier to reach
- tilt wheel is nice
- the cord is braided and is no longer rubber- meaning no more sticking to the desk edge and what not
- texture of the black plastic is no longer smooth, so better grip especially for those with sweaty hands, the painted part is also not smooth anymore
- the mouse feet are a little smoother, but the increase in size and position of the feet are much better

-
- only one thumb button, i don't know why they did this but you could use the tilt wheel in place of the thumb buttons for back and foward while browsing
- setpoint software seems to hit my PC a good bit while gaming, but that might be because of the 500 reports/second rate
- when using setpoint, back and forth buttons don't work with firefox and MS picture viewer.. and probably others - you could use setpoint to assign buttons for specific Apps. for example setting a buttons for shift+left/right arrow to use in firefox
(i uninstalled setpoint and only use the driver)
- the wheel button takea a good amount of pressure, and wheel scrolling isn't as precise as the mx518 wheel

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Is there any support for the pinky finger. My pinky hangs of my 518 and is painful after hours. I need something to rest it on.

the shell is exactly like the mx518/510/500, but the G5 has better grip.. i don't think your pinky problem is because of slipping though, i hold my mouse with my thumb on the left side and pinky on the right side clinching the mouse, index on left mouse button, middle on right mouse button, and ring finger rests right next to the right mouse button on the black plastic

Back