• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible for a new LCD panel to kill a PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duster

Hi,
I'd just like to know if you think is it possible for a new LCD monitor to kill a PC(Not the PC in my sig) or not.
I'm asking because, I had a new PC running ok for 4 months, then I get a new LCD panel for it, and 3 days later the PC is dead............

Each time I try and boot it, it says "R 480 VGA DVI TVO BIOS BR10007"
And thats as far as it will boot.
I cant even get into BIOS.

The LCD seemed to be working OK with the PC for 3 days, then I play a game for an hour, and get hit with a blue screen, and I get that message on rebooting.

Is it just coincidence, as I'd like to rule out the LCD panel, as the killer, Can I?

What do you think?

Last edited:
i don't think an lcd can do that but you never know...

have you tested any of the parts in the pc?
i'm guessing it's x800 of some type and that the lcd was running off the DVI plug?

have you tried:
1. plugging the old monitor into the other plug, if it has 2 DVI try the LCD on the other DVI
2. try the LCD on another PC
3. try the video card with another pc
4. try another video card in the PC

another thing you might try is reflashing the bios on the video card (i've never been in a situation where i've needed to do this so i can't tell you how) but there are plent of people in the video-card subforum who would be able to help you if need be...

basically you need to establish what part or parts are faulty, i suspect a bios reflash for the video card is whats needed, but it could just be faulty in which case you'd need to return it (the video card)

i don't think you can unless you blow your videocard. i'd try resetting the CMOS first.

-1cem4n

Technically speaking, yes an LCD monitor could kills a PC if it were wired incorrectly and somehow voltage was going where it was not supposed to, but the chances of that happening are next to nil and I would think it would an instant death type event, not something that would happen over a few days.

I'm pretty sure something else by coincidence has died and its holding up the system from posting normally. Remove everything that is not esential and try booting.... like vid card, one stick of ram, no drives.... just enough to make it post and see what happens.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for replys.
The PC i'm talking about is a branded make, and it's only 4 months old, so they can take it back and fix it.

I did open it up last night and look inside, The only thing I noticed that could be wrong was a very small hole in the ribbon cable at about pin 30 ish, I could even see the copper inside poking out. The strand of copper seems to be broken.
The cable was an IDE cable for the CDRW & DVDRW. It looked very strange to me.
I would change the cable, but it's not up to me to fix it, as it's only 4 months old.
Could this be the cause of the problem?

Also, it has started to trip the power breaker in the house power supply.
Not good :rolleyes:

As for the LCD panel, I'm testing it with an old PC, and so far it's running great.
I'm using it to type this message.

I am using the DVI plug.

Back