• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artifacting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hamm3r

Ok so here is my problem:
I have AS8 mobo ( 865PE chipset ) and until today I had old crappy memory that I ran at 3:2 divider, FSB was set @ 266Mhz so my 630CPU was at 4Ghz and memory was @ 178Mhz. Everithing was smooth and stable.
Today I finally recieved new OCZ PC3200Platinum rev2 memory (TCCD chips), so I played a little with FSB and timings, my goal was to reach 533Mhz so I can run it at 1:1 with FSB. I have set 2.5,3,3,8 timings, 2.8V and ran few loops of memtest, no errors, OS boots fine and I can run super pi, prime95 and sandra or everest memory bandwidth benchmark, but when I open any game I get artifacts - looks just like too much overclocked graphics card.
If I lower FSB to 250Mhz it dissapears, and even If I leave it at 266MHz and just put a 5:4 divider on the memory it doesnt artifact any more.
First thing that came on my mind is that chipset can't handle the stress so im considering raising the voltage on it ( still at default 1.5V ) but Springdale chipset has combined Northbridge and AGP voltage so if you want to raise one you must raise other as well.
So my question is: Is it advisable to raise AGP voltage, and if it is how far is it safe to go? I really dont want to have a dead 6800GT.
And does anybody have any other suggestions that would solve my problem?
Thanks!

I've heard of an AI7 or IS7 doing this before too. Maybe do a search in this section. I might drop the vdimm to 2.7v and try giving it a little more AGP voltage, I've used 1.6v for long term with no problem and I've heard others claim 1.65v is ok. One other thing, does this mobo have game accelerator settings like the other i865/i875 mobos? If so, disable the last two settings (probably in the same menu as the RAM timings).

Tried all the above settings you mentioned, tried disableing FastWrites, and Its still artifacting :( so now im at 250FSB (3.75Ghz). Raising voltage on the Northbridge also didn't help. Ran out of ideas for now, seems that Springdale chipsets doesn't like very high memory speeds. Well thanks for the help batboy.
*Goes searching web for the solution.

Are you o/c ing the vid card? If you are are you also adjustinmg the fans speed to keep up with the extra heat? In ATI Tray Tools I can adjust my fan speeds to what is stock or to my settings. I have the fan running at 100% at 50 degrees C better cold then getting too hot.

Actually you may be on to something there because the ATI Tool for some reason set my fan speeds to something ridiculousy slow....my card would heat up and give me a problem after a few mintues of any kind of load on a game. Took me a while to figure out that if I manually set the fan speeds the problem went away.

BigDan3131 said:
Are you o/c ing the vid card? If you are are you also adjustinmg the fans speed to keep up with the extra heat? In ATI Tray Tools I can adjust my fan speeds to what is stock or to my settings. I have the fan running at 100% at 50 degrees C better cold then getting too hot.

No the card is at stock ATM, im sure its not cards fault, northbridge just can't handle memory speed beyond 500Mhz.

I'm running into the same exact problem. I recently purchased 2GB of PC4000 Ballistix and anything over 250FSB w/ 1:1 I get artifacting.

I've also tried everything listed here and have yet to find a solution :(

My setup:
IS7-G (24 bios)
3.2ghz ES @ 3.5ghz (1.625v)
Ballistix 2GB PC4000 (2.8v)
6800GT PNY, Has never been OC'd.

Just a few things I've tried: (I'm at work can't remember everything atm)
All Game accelerator options set to A-A-A-D-D
Tried enabling CPC
Raising AGP to 68mhz
Disabling Fast Writes (Although it seems I can't with my IS7? Unable to find the BIOS option)

Since my IS7-G was a refurb from newegg and only $65 I'm ready to buy a new motherboard if I can find one that can do 290-300fsb.
Seems difficult though as most people are having varying results.

One thing I did notice; running in single channel mode won't display artifacting at/above 250fsb.

hey guys, this is an age old i865 chipset issue well documented by now and fortunately, there are known solutions too - software (i865 registry tweaker) and hardware (use single sided 512MB sticks).

btw, ABXZone has a long thread on this.

I haven't had any issues with 266FSB/Memory, Abit AS-8, and AGP video.

are you getting artifacting in all games? 3dmark shows the same thing?

Wrt this problem - artefacting occurs esp. (?only) when

1. i865
2. is run overclocked at 1:1, the actual FSB will vary with the mobo itself
3. 2 x 512MB double sided sticks are used
4. in dual channel config

HTH.

I was gonna say that probably the AGP bus was OC'ed too much, especially
if you get video corruption or the game just suddenly gets terminated. If the motherboard has AGP and the AGP bus is over 70 mhz, your video card probably can't handle that.

Back