• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why won't it work!?!?! P4C800D-X !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paranoia21

Registered
:welcome:
Computer Specs.

Processor: 3.0ghz Intel P4 Norwood​
Motherboard: ASUS P4S800D-X​
Ram: 2gb Dual Channel OCZ DDR3200​
GPU: 9800 Pro 256meg --> 9800 XT 256meg​
]Hard Drive: 160GB Samsung 7200rpm, Model#: SP1614C
Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy LS​

My Problem:
( For the speedreader: Windows hates my sata drive and I don't know what to do )

Recently, due to some complications with my previous motherboard, Lanparty PRO875B, I had to purchase a new one. I bought the ASUS P4S800D-X. However, my harddrive remained untouched and I thought all my files would remain intact and all I would have to do is plug it into my new motherboard and load it on up and get back to being a happy guy. This is not the case...

I plug everything in and my computer boots perfectly up until the part where it loads windows. It flashes the windows loading screen, the one with the blue bar that moves back in forth at the bottom, and then the computer just restarts and loops this over and over again.

I figured there was some issue with my windows installation so I went to run checkdisk on the repair function of the windows xp cd. I went to run it and hit R to enter Repair. This is when I receive the message that windows is unable to find a hard drive and can not continue. Oh great, my bios finds the diskdrive perfectly but windows ( :argue: ) isn't able.

I start hitting up the search function to find the problem and see if I can't fix it myself, to no avail. So here I am now with my bios recognizing my hard drive and windows unable to. I would love any helpful input or solutions someone out there may have, thank you.

Either post here or AIM me please;
AIM Screenname: Paranoia021

THANKS AGAIN!
:p

Upon windows install did you do the f6 thing and install the sis sata drivers??? If not, that is the major malfunction.... Not to mention your going to a completly different chipset from the 875p....

I haven't reinstalled windows cause I already have it on the drive. And I've attempted to install the drivers for sata but whenever I press f6 when it tells me to nothing happens at all.. :( and what do you mean by different chipset..

The P4S800D-X is a SIS 655 chipset i believe, and you had a 875B lanparty board that is a INTEL chipset correct?? I have never been able to cross-swich chipset types on a sinle hard drive OS load... Maybe its jsut me....

What is the difference between chipsets? I thought intel socket 478 and such were all the same things, I don't understand chipset stuff.

Update on what is happening now:
I load the sata drivers and windows finds my drive, I ran chkdsk and it fixed a few errors however it still goes to the windows screen stays for about half a second and then reboots the computer.

You have an SIS chipset in your board ... so somehow you need to get the intel chipset drvers/.inf's installed. The chipset is what controls your sata and ide drives amongst other things.

If you do a windows install and pick the repair option when it finds your windows partitiion it might work. I have used windows repair and avoided having to reinstall all my software a few times in the past ... although not always does everything work perfectly afterwards.

What SP level was installed on your windows partition? If your CD is a lower level it might not work properly.

I slipstreamed SP2 on to my pre SP1 windows install CD so you might have to do that first. There is a sticky here under software forums i think ... i used a giuide i found at tom's hardware guide to create mine.

All my P4 rigs have intel chipsets in them so i have never tried moving drives between machines with different chipsets.

Good Luck

screwtech02 said:
This is the motherboard i presume????

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=12&l3=45&model=407&modelmenu=1

Here is a link to the download page....

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P4S800D-X

Bottom line is, you will have to do a FRESH INSTALL of windows to get it to work correctly, unless somebody has a better idea....

This may in fact be your only resolution ... but if it is then you will not lose anything but possibly a bit of time by trying the Windows repair option first.

Back