• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Boot Issue!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neuen

The Issue:
I just upgraded my computer considerabally (hardware info below) but i decided to keep my hard drives b/c they were the still close to as good as you can get. I have 2 SATA HD's and 1 IDE HD. My operating system is on both of the SATAs but the main is on a 10000RPM Raptor (this has my old setting config ect.). My prob is that when i can get it to boot to the raptor it will not activate my mouse and it asked to reactivate windows which i have already done on that HD. It will also not load my profile that is still saved on the rapter.

The Hardware
Original:
A78NX Deluxe
AMD XP 2400
1G Corsair 3200 DDR RAM
Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
SATA WD 10000RPM 8MB Raptor 36GB - Main Operating System and Progs
SATA Samsung 7200RPM 8MB 80GB - Backup OS and All other Progs/Games
IDE Maxtor 60G 7200RPM 2GB - Storage (Movies/Music/Pics of Myself)

New:
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
AMD 64 3700+ San Diego
1G Corsair 3200 DDR RAM
Ati Radeon x800 Pro
SATA WD 10000RPM 8MB Raptor 36GB - Main Operating System and Progs
SATA Samsung 7200RPM 8MB 80GB - Backup OS and All other Progs/Games
IDE Maxtor 60G 7200RPM 2GB - Storage (Movies/Music/Pics of Myself)

If you need any more info just ask. ANY help would be dandy (yes dandy).

Well, I see a couple of problems. First, when you do a major upgrade that includes the motherboard you really need to reinstall Windows. Even if it booted it would run poorly. Secondly, once windows sees all that new gear it will always ask you reactivate. The only possible way around this would be to run a Windows repair, but I am not sure it would work or if it's even be a good idea. Should you try it this link may help.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=358710
If your copy of XP does not include SP 2 you will need to reinstall that as well. All things considered, you are better off with a fresh install. Good luck.

is there any way to access a passworded account on a different hd then so i can save some of my docs and settings

neuen said:
is there any way to access a passworded account on a different hd then so i can save some of my docs and settings
I'm not quite sure what you mean? If it's on a different drive it won't be lost. BTW, if you try the repair you won't lose your data or programs, I am just dubious of how the system will run without a fresh install.

understood i decided to go with all fresh installs now just having a little trouble with it actually booting to the SATA HD. Installs fine but then cant find the OS.

I just installed a SATA boot drive on my A7N8X yesterday and what should have been an easy job was a major pain. Make sure you bios boot options are set to SATA/SCSI and not the reverse. Also, just for starters, I would disconnect the other drives and set the boot option to HDD-0 for first boot. If it boots successfully I would then you can shut it down and hook up the other drives. Good luck.

Back