• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocker's spirit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

martindemon

I was thinking, when I was carrying the garbage out, about how things have changed. What happened to the overclocker's spirit? I mean, this concerns me as well. In the past, we would try overclocks on processors and memory without knowing if it would be possible at all to reach our goal. Now, it seems that we can buy "chance" when purchasing PC4000 and higher warrantied overclockable memory sticks. We buy dual channel kits for a few dollars more than the single sticks sold separately... In my case, it has never made any difference if I bought "quality" sticks. Perhaps I was a bit lucky. Perhaps I could have fallen on very "bad" (stuck at nominal speed) memory sticks if I had not bought that PC4000 kit.

Now I'm back to the old time spirit. I'm selling my 2x512Mb PC4000 and buying two sticks of Samsung (with B6U808 boards) that look very much like this G.Skill PC4800 kit. I might not reach PC4800 speed but even if I can get to PC3800, that will be enough for now. I want to risk it, to embark on the true adventure of overclocking. The one where you truly don't know what to expect. :)

Exactly. Now I'm talking about possible performance, which is a mix between a poker game and great performance :) In fact, the main reason is that I want to keep a little money on the side to start my life :) So a little bet on the performance of this memory looks very attractive. I could save 100$ or more. If the memory works only at nominal speed, then I'm not screwed because I paid exactly for that :)

The point is that I would like a light overclock on my system. I'm ready to bet that two Samsung DDR400 sticks could do the job of, say, some OCZ PC4000 dual channel kit. If it does, I "win" 120$. If it doesn't work, then all is well up to the overclock it can take. Anyway, when overclocking for performance, we have to risk it with the processor. The introduction of high performance memory just took back a part of the overclocking challenge we had in the past. Sure, if money is not a factor, I would go for the PC4000 kit, but right now, my car is falling apart :)

i got ya loud and clear martin. ive been thinking the same thing for a while now.but i think it has more to do with there didnt used to be SO MUCH performance/enthusiest stuff like there is now. when did you notice the shift or when do you think it started. i think it was around when bh5 hit and %25 overclocks started to be the norm. it was suddenly like "wow, i just 0'clocked this ram 50mhz at the titghtest timeings and i got a board+cpu that can hang with it to boot!" maybe NF2 and the pci lock was a great boon as well. in fact, yes it was.

martindemon said:
The point is that I would like a light overclock on my system. I'm ready to bet that two Samsung DDR400 sticks could do the job of, say, some OCZ PC4000 dual channel kit. If it does, I "win" 120$. If it doesn't work, then all is well up to the overclock it can take. Anyway, when overclocking for performance, we have to risk it with the processor. The introduction of high performance memory just took back a part of the overclocking challenge we had in the past. Sure, if money is not a factor, I would go for the PC4000 kit, but right now, my car is falling apart :)
oh. Good luck then.

I thought this had a broader aspect to it.

Back