• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so i assume that this means my ram sucks teh big one11111

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaky

Skulltrail Junkie
first two tests were at 266 FSB w/ 14x multi & 4:3 divider (equals ram run at rated 333mhz) and ram @ rated 4-2-2-8 timings @ 2.1v

last test was run with absolutely no overclock at all and the ram set to rated 4-2-2-8 timings @ 2.1v running at 333mhz

memtest1.jpg

memtest2.jpg

memtest3.jpg

:bang head

so guys... RMA time?

Yes, it looks that way. If you run it at stock timings and voltage it should run day and night without errors. Maybe Steve, the OCZ rep, can make another suggestion, but I'd get the packaging ready.

DDR2 uses much lower voltage than DDR1 - the usual voltage for DDR2 is 1.8 to 1.9v, this particular ram is supposed to be run at 2.1v (under warranty up to 2.2v) according to OCZ's spec

Errors in test 1-4 are CPU or power supply related. Check your CPU temps and make sure your voltages are all in spec. You don't need 2.1V's to run the memory at stock speed so please lower that as well.

Grab the latest memtest + from here as well
http://www.memtest.org/

Try looping test #5. If you don't get errors in that test then there is really nothing wrong with the memory. But let me know the results and we'll see if we can sort this out for you

well i looped test #5 at both 3.6 (stock) and ~4.35, no errors with it whatsoever w/ ram @ 4-2-2-8 @ 333mhz @ 2.0v

so does this mean ram isn't my problem or what?

Well, it means there might be another problem, although I wouldn't completely rule out the RAM yet. I agree with Steve in that you should explore the power supply situation. Admittedly, the P&C Turbo Cool 510 is generally an excellent PSU. But, check all the voltage rails to see what it's doing under load.

in speedfan, all the voltages check in at idle and under dual prime 95 load (doesnt show 5v though) and all of them are rougly the same when i'm in the BIOS hardware monitor as well

i had the exact same overclocking problems with my OCZ 600w before I sold it to get the PC P&C, so that basically eliminates the PSU as a culprit

Is there any chance you can test your motherboard and CPU in another system? You may have a bad board or CPU. If not I'd be willing to bring your RAM in to be tested at OCZ if you'd like that. Then you'll know 100% if the ram is or isn't causing problems.

no, i don't have any other boards or CPU's to test, and this is the only DDR2 that i've got... so IDK if i'd be able to send it in to you guys

i emailed you and didn't get a reply yet...

but anyways, today i played around with memtest a bit more, and with the CPU @ stock speeds/voltage, the following occured:

4-2-2-8 @ 2.1v @ 333mhz ==> errors up the wazoo in test #1-6

4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v @ 333mhz ==> absolutely no errors in test #1-6

so once again, i think its the ram thats screwing with me - the person who i got the CPU from was able to do 4.5ghz @ stock voltage on air cooling like cake (with a set of corsair 5400UL's), but even on water, i get reboots at 4.5ghz @ 1.55v w/ my 2gb set of OCZ Plat 5400's :-/

Last edited:
Back