• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo for Gaming (LGA775) nforce or 955x ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AdvanS13

what would you guys recommend for a gaming rig? no oc'n on this one, seems like the non-premium nforce boards are cheaper than the 955's....most of the reviews, show better results on the nforce, is anyone here using a nforce chipset? havent seen it around here much. i will be using a 7800gtx

for the nforce im looking at:

Abit NI8-SLI
Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe

955x:
Asus P5WD2

after reading the anandtech review http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2555

the abit seems to hold its own in gaming against the asus...hrm

thanks

If no overclocking is going to be done, then either would probably work ok. For overclocking, you can't beat the stability of Intel chipsets.

The P5WD2 kills that NI8.

Only reason I could see going with it would be for SLI, but soon enough the 955x MBs will be doing SLI.

I'll vote the P5WD2 also although i'm not sure it will ever actually be doing SLI it just clocks like mad, after that probably the p5nd2-sli though seem to clock ok.

{PMS}fishy said:
The P5WD2 kills that NI8.

Only reason I could see going with it would be for SLI, but soon enough the 955x MBs will be doing SLI.

in oc'n, yea. but i don't see it killing it in gaming, looks pretty equal.

AdvanS13 said:
in oc'n, yea. but i don't see it killing it in gaming, looks pretty equal.

So when you OC the 955, and you can't OC the NF4, than the gaming advantage falls to the faster of the two machines.

The only advantage of the Nforce chipset that I see is SLI, but if you aren't overclocking, then why bother with SLI? You want Nforce chipset, go with a AMD CPU. You want an Intel system, go with an Intel chipset.

batboy said:
You want Nforce chipset, go with a AMD CPU. You want an Intel system, go with an Intel chipset.

And there you have the only reason anyone should need to talk you out of an NF4 Intel MB.

Back