• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory errors BSOD.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hey_Its_Cole

I got new Gskill 2x 1 gig ram and after a overclocking seesiion with the cpu got the windows corupted message but after a restart, it booted fine. Ever since I can not get battlefield 2 to run for more than 30 min without crashing even at deafault settings. I am on a epox 9npa+ sli. I am reinstalling windows now because i think it is a corruption issue but am slighlty worried as all this began to happen right after the new ram. My question is do you think it is a windows issue. Anything else i should reinstall besides windows? I am getting frustrated. I have tried useing all the dimms and that has not effect, a couple of time i could not even boot windows after a crash, also during this cpu overclock session, my cooling system crapped on me for a short while and this is when it all started. I am prime stable so that leads me to suspect windows is the issue but am slightly worried.

Yes it's highly possible that it’s being caused by windows corruption, because if your RAM is not working at 100% efficiency aka producing errors your L1 and L2 cache get jammed and can cause windows corruption.

That's why it's always recommended that you do memtest before you boot into the windows to make sure that your RAM is working properly.

I had a similar problem happen to me awhile ago where my RAID0 got corrupted by unstable RAM and was forced to reinstall windows. After that it worked fine.

Another thing as a rule for all new RAM make sure you test each stick individually first to make sure that they aren't faulty.

I reinstalled, and am prime blending right now. Looks stable. But I am still having bf2 issues it will play for 2 hours and crash or sometimes 5 min. and crash even at default clocks. I think i will install bf2 again, maybe it is corrupted if that is possible. I might need to tune down the gf card.

No, I have not memtested, I dont have a floppy drive installed i just need to go do that, one of the sticks must be bad cause Just got a another physical dump of memory a BSOD. I am useing a 166 divider and it is not even running default timings. What is weird is this last BSOD was after a 45 min prime blend run on one core and a small ftt on the other core and neither failed after 45 min. It happened after I stopped the tests to go raise the clock in bios, the fact that it was passing the blend test makes me wonder though if i dont have some other corupted files, I am thinking of reformating, but dont feel like reinstalling all my crap. Would mem errors show up a 45 mins of blend?

I am running super pi now i just chose the 512m test as i have never used this program beofore is this the one to use for memory testing. I know i should really run memtest before booting windows but I am to lazey to install my floppy drive and frankly I dont mind formating as I dont store that many files on my comp. Super pi will show errors in memory right, is there a certain test to use? I am a super pi newbie.

Hey_Its_Cole said:
I am running super pi now i just chose the 512m test as i have never used this program beofore is this the one to use for memory testing. I know i should really run memtest before booting windows but I am to lazey to install my floppy drive and frankly I dont mind formating as I dont store that many files on my comp. Super pi will show errors in memory right, is there a certain test to use? I am a super pi newbie.

use the 32m test. the 512 is so small that memory errors can escape easily. also try running occt which will detect errors in ram or cpu.

Hey_Its_Cole said:

I use 1M as a "quick test" I mean waiting 35 seconds or so for it to complete is no big deal.

In fact I put 3 shorcuts on my desktop

CPUZ for monitoring, clockgen for guestimating OC and superpi for testing said OC
If I hit a moint that superpi errors I use clockgen to give a boost in vCore (I set my RAM to max voltage on default 2.85v :( ) and experiment from there. No seriously for a truer test 32M is better, but for a quick fix 1M is minimum in my book :)

Ok it did not even do one calculation and it errored with both sticks, i am testing just one now and it seems to be doing fine.

So i tested each stick and niether stick had any problems with super pi. I put them back in and failed instantly so I figure why not reset bios again. Fire it up and now it oasses fine, I am so confused but I am tired so I will mess with it later.

Back