• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ECC VS Non-ECC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kassenz

Registered
Hey guys,
Techincal Question. I just got 10gigs of 3200DDR2 ram from our HP/Compaq servers at work for cheap. They upgraded to gig chips from 512m sticks.

Heres the specs:

HP Part Number: 245112-051
512MB,DDR2,400,CL3,ECC REG

512 MB 1Rx8 PC2-3200R-333-11-A0

My Mobo at home says it works with non-buffered non-ECC ram. What will happen? Whats the difference?

*edit* Absolutely no transactions outside the classifieds section. None. Take this as a serious warning, any further attempts to circumvent the classifieds section will be forwarded to the classifieds mods.

-larva
Forum Moderator

Thanks
kris
BSB_GRAVES
kassenz@ yahoo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Mate and Welcome to the Forums!

The forum rules forbid trading outside the Classifides section. The classifides section will be visible once you cross 100 quality posts and the mods decide to allow you the access. So, I'd request you to please edit your post accordingly :)

Regards,

S-N

Edit*
ECC (Error-Correcting Code memory)
A memory system that tests for and corrects errors automatically, very often without the operating system being aware of it, let alone the user. When writing the data into memory, ECC circuitry generates checksums from the binary sequences in the bytes and stores them in an additional seven bits of memory for 32-bit data paths or eight bits for 64-bit paths. When data are retrieved from memory, the checksum is recomputed to determine if any of the data bits have been corrupted. Such systems can typically detect and automatically correct errors of one bit per word and can detect, but not correct, errors greater than one bit.

Back