• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 2x1GB for gaming ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

khaotik

Registered
i donno about #2, but to answer you first question there is a HUGE increase in ram comparing 200mhz dual channcel to 300mhz dual channel ram. yes, overclocked ram makes a huge difference

I have the 2nd link you said, the OCZ 2x1gb 2-3-2-5 Platinum.

I'm extremely happy with these, as I went from 512mb RAM to 2gb. Big difference. Right now I haven't had the time to sit down and fool around with overclocks, so right now it's at 220mhz at 2-3-2-5 with default voltage. Pretty good so far.

BadThad said:

Thanks, I read that one earlier and is actually the reason I started looking at 2x1GB again. But Anand's memory articles are usually a waste of time to be honest. They bench at some ridiculously low resolution in some old game that doesn't come close to taxing the video card so of course overclocked memory will show a gain.

Show me some 16x12 4x/16x in BF2 or WoW benchmarks where overclocked memory gives you a boost and I'll be convinced :)

khaotik, that's the point. If the bottleneck lies in the videocard, then the difference is small when overclocking. But when you take that out of the picture, the real difference comes through. Now, I understand your topic was RAM for GAMES, but a real difference can be noticed in loading apps, and the responsiveness of your system. Going from 133/266 FSB to 200/400, and from there to 210/420, the difference is obvious. Of course it helps the games, it just shines when its saturated with data, if the GPU can't output the data (cause its processing it as fast as it can) then obviously it won't show as much of a difference.

Also, upping the FSB makes more of a difference, (as opposed to tighter timings at a normal (non-OCed) speed). But timing (and FSB, for that matter) changes can be tested with apps like SuperPi and even old(er) benchmarks like 3DMark01.

(Edit-ation)
So in closing, yes there is a difference in todays games, and I do see (and
"feel") the effects of higher FSB, and even tighter timings.

Last edited:
Trust, you will be happy with it. :)

dscn0r9804ld.jpg

I second the Crucial Ballistix. With the right motherboard, you can do 2-2-2-5 @ 200 to 3-3-3-8 @ 300.

FACTION95Si said:
I just bought the OCZ PC4000 EB Platiunums too. Should arrive tomorrow :)
These are Awesome, I have 4 sticks of the Golds running at 245FSB running solid. The plats have a little more edge!

Ok, guys I got the OCZ but I'm been having some serious problems with it. First of all it wouldnt boot at 2-3-2-5 but after getting the correct timings it seems ok.

Now the other big issue I'm having is that it's not responding to any memory ratio other than 1:1. I used to run my 3000+ at 289x9 with a 7:10 divider which puts the memory back at 200. My corsair worked flawlessly in this configuration. Now the OCZ doesn't budge and doesn't get past the bios screen. It's killing my CPU overclock.

Any ideas about what the problem might be? TIA!

FACTION95Si said:
I just bought the OCZ PC4000 EB Platiunums too. Should arrive tomorrow :)

everyone seems to be getting those and i can't find them... any links?

khaotik, are you still supplying the stock voltage, or have you upped it? I would be eager to hear any experiences as I am considering the OCZ 4000 EB's also. I'm thinking of putting the following together:

DFI Lanparty non-SLI
Athlon X2 3800+
2x1 gig OCZ 4000 plats
some sort of 7800GT

note: ATACOM has the set for $307 right now.

Khaotik.

How are those OCZ PC4000 Platinums working out? I am thinking of ordering a pair.
Have you upped your voltage from stock to get them working?

Back