• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I disable or enable Page File when I have 2GB of RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

el_leumas

Registered
I'm currently using a A64 3000 PC with 2GB of DDR400 RAM (2x1GB), Samsung-UCCC chips, and a 120GB hard-disk. I use Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop CS occasionally. I use my PC mostly for gaming and editting. My current paging file is 2048mb. Should I change/disable paging file? Will it be faster if I disable Virtual Memory (paging file)?

If I disable it, how do I locate and delete the page file on my hard-disk?

I think Photoshop requires you have a file page.

It is faster to have all the programs and such in memory, but if you run out you're system will produce a lot of errors.

If you do want to change it, right clock on My Computer and go to Properties or in the Control Panel go to System. In the Advanced tab, look for the Performance section and click on the Settings button. Under the Advanced tab you will see a Virtual Memory section, click on the Change button. Now you have a window showing all of your partitions and how big the paging file size is. Highlight the drive you want to modify the partion and pick the Custom Size, System Managed, or No paging option. If you do a custom setup I recommend setting the Initial Size and Maximum size to the same value to improve performance, as the OS doesn't have to make the file bigger if you need more space.

Photoshop makes its own scratchfile and in fact if you have a pagefile enabled on the same partition that you have Photoshop installed you will get a warning that data may become corrupted ;)

for 2 gigs i reccomend only setting it to 1024 for min and max.

you can seperate the partition if youd like but i would just leave it alone ..

i too use photoshop alot (cs2) and have had no problems with it on same partition.

as long as your pc is stabel then you ahould be just fine.

For my setup.
I like to have the pagefile on another hard drive. My Photoshop scratch disk is has its own partition(10 gig FAT32). Its on the same hard drive as the pagefile, but a separate partition.

Xtreme Barton said:
for 2 gigs i reccomend only setting it to 1024 for min and max.

you can seperate the partition if youd like but i would just leave it alone ..

i too use photoshop alot (cs2) and have had no problems with it on same partition.

as long as your pc is stabel then you ahould be just fine.

With page file on a seperate (clean) partition his load times will be much faster cause there wont' be conflict.

As I remember corectly page file can be big as 3x of current amount of memory you have.

Back