• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Start Up Bios flashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

just curious if its ok to flash from cd rom rather than floppy..

also is it possible to flash from say an sd disk in my card reader ...

i dont have a floppy installed on this machine..

i would like to get a copy of my current bios incase things go wrong .. is there a way to dumb your mobo's bios ?

karl pell said:
yes, assuming you can boot from it into DOS.

don't know, but probably ok, assuming you can boot form it into DOS.

you should, for when things go all dark and stormy.

Most BIOS flash programs, e.g. AWDFLASH, as well as WinFlash have an option to save a copy of the existing BIOS.

If your machine supports WinFlash, use that. This is a Windows app that will allow you to save a copy of existing BIOS and flash a new one.

If not, determine whose BIOS you're running (e.g. Award) and get their BIOS flash program (e.g. AWDFLASH.COM). These will be DOS and require booting (floppy, cd, whatever) into a DOS environment. The flash program and appropriate BIOS should be available at your mobo's support/download site.

Comment
If you simply want a copy of your current BIOS, go to your mobo's download site and download it.

CAUTION
Your questions suggest that you don't have a great deal of experience with flashing a BIOS. If so, no insult intended. If not, you will want to do a lot of reading ... it is not technically difficult at all, but WinFlash and the DOS-based flash programs will enable you to trash your BIOS programming quickly and easily. Again, if you simply want a copy of your current BIOS, go to your mobo's download site and download it.

nah i have some experience under my belt .. i just usually have a floppy drive and i also get my bios from trusted sites.

on this machine:

im overclocking an emachine for a friend. he only has cd drives and card reader.
i wanted to dump his bios so i could try and somewhat compare it to the one i have downloaded from a third party site ( yes i know the risk of this but im going to order a backup bios chip for safety and have the original bios installed on it).

just certain things i not positive on, wanted to clear it up ..before acutally doing any work. :D i know thats bad but i am stalling on tearing into this thing..

supposedly the new bios releases some more options to alow overclocking..

so far i got it from 333fsb to 380 fsb . ram is holding me back because the cas latency is always stuck at 2. even when setting to spd it stays..

if i can get past that then it will be ok .. i managed to wire truck teh voltage adn also overcloked his video (intergrated lol)

anyways he wants a little boost so im trying it for him ..

i already suggested a new cheap board for 30-40 bucks but nooooo he doesnt want to spend it..

oh and ps

emachine has no bios for download. not even the original. nor does the FIC website. doesnt even list this board. oem only for emachine and gateway.

this mobo is a FIC (first international computer inc. ) K7MNF-64 socket A
with sempron 3000+ (barton 512 L2 cache) , samsung 512mb tccc.

Oh, the wonders of e-machines! They should be called fu-machines. I've only worked on one but what a POS! Hopefully, your friend will know better when he gets his next rig. Good luck with the bios.

yeah it was 100 bucks from his friend who got an new one so its not bad..

limited but not to shabby for the price..

if i can get a modded bios i will be in luck as much as i need to be...

400 fsb is my goal.. ( i know it sounds funny doesnt it) .. if only i could get ram to go cas 2.5 or even 3 id be in buisness well over 400fsb im sure..

Back