• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something you can't do with Microsoft Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baqai

Searched a lil bit for it couldnt find this topic :)

here is a intresting fact i found on another forum

did you know that you can not create a folder named con anywhere on your HDs...even microsoft has not been able to answer this!!

after reading this i did tried and i couldnt make the folder lol

I couldn't do it...it would let me use con contained in another word, but not con by itself.

Yay, something else to baffle friends with...

if you make a regular folder, click on properties and try to change the name there, you get a message that says a folder of that name already exists. hmm...

a little something I found here

The following reserved device names cannot be used as the name of a file:

CON, PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9.

You must avoid using these names as a file name suffix or file name body, so you have to avoid names such as aux.c, file.aux or NUL.txt.

http://www.governmentsecurity.org/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t16294.html

The following reserved device names cannot be used as the name of a file:

CON, PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9.

THose names are reserved cause they are 'DOS' device names.

DOS device names are reserved words, and cannot be used as folder or file names. When parsing a reference to a file or folder, Windows correctly checks for the case in which a single DOS device name is used in the path, and treats it as invalid.

also
http://www.itfreaks.com/forum/con-folder-2857.html

NUL, AUX, CON, COM1-4, LPT1-3, and PRN
are reserved words used for DOS Devices

These are specified in IO.SYS and date back from the early MS Dos days. Here is a brief list:

CLOCK$ - System clock
CON - Console; combination of keyboard and screen to handle input and output
AUX or COM1 - First serial communicationport
COMn - Second, Third, ... communicationport
LPT1 or PRN - First parallel port
NUL - Dummy port, or the "null device" which is known under Linux as /dev/null.
CONFIG$ - Unknown

edit: damn i got beat

baqai said:
Searched a lil bit for it couldnt find this topic :)

here is a intresting fact i found on another forum

after reading this i did tried and i couldnt make the folder lol

now THAT is the definition of trivia.

Lol, you guys have found the holy grail.

Dunno why i can't entitle a folder 'con' but i can entitle it 'i hack microsoft's website all the time'

lol silly billies

i went and made a folder called con on my gentoo server

then i tried viewing it on my windows machine this is what it shows (i can't believe i dont have anything better to do )

Attachments

• weeeee.PNG
    weeeee.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 250
If i remember right in DOS you could use the following to write console input to a file. "copy con >filename.txt"

I'm sure some other Ol' timer could remember how that worked...

Malpine Walis said:
OK now tell me where the word trivia comes from?
From Wikipedia.org
The term comes from medieval universities, where trivia were the things learned in the trivium, comprising the three subjects that were studied first: grammar, logic, and rhetoric.

I'd like my cookie now, plzkthx.

threeme2189 said:
pretty cool.
now tell me who created the word "quiz" and why?
From Wikipedia.org
The true etymology is unknown. The following have all been proposed:

1. Reputed without evidence to have been invented by a late 18th century Dublin theatre proprietor who bet he could add a new nonsense word to the English language. He thus had the word painted on walls all over the city. The morning after, everyone was talking about the new word.
2. The original meaning is interrogation (1867), being derived from the verb. Current meaning only since 1941.
3. Originally quies (1847), may have derived from Latin qui es? (who are you?), traditionally the first question in oral Latin exams. Used as a noun from 1867, spelling quiz first recorded in 1886.

I'd like my cookie from you, too plzkthxbye.

Last edited:
Something you cant do with microsoft windows:

1. figure out the pagefile
2. get it to load under 2 loading bars
3. cheat on it with linux :)D)
4. apply all the patches and be completely safe
5. install it on a system with less than 1mb of ram

there is my 5 :D :) :D

If i remember correctly CON is reserved for the "console' device. I believe this is a holdout from the cardreader/keypunch and serial console days. Its late and I've not slept yet but i believe thats correct

Back