• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help dissuading a friend from going Apple.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schalldampfer

Yes, so she's a really big Apple fan, and thinks they can be used for just about everything. I need some substantial help from you guys to prove that PC's have a wider range of usage. Thanks.

they dont oc well! hehe
seriously, for stuff like photoshop, mac's are amazing, but for gaming and customizing/building, macs are weak

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
they dont oc well! hehe
seriously, for stuff like photoshop, mac's are amazing, but for gaming and customizing/building, macs are weak

EXACTLY what I want to say. But I shall need some solid support.

why does he want a MAC ?if he wants a virus free OS with no software written for it, why not go linux ?

well, if une chooses to buy a computer based on looks rather than function, its their loss...

i know those kind of people. they would buy a flaming pile of (you guessed it) if they likes the looks of it enough
thats not an argument you can use functionality (form/function) to win surprisingly.
those types of people dont care what you tell them about how something will function. the function argument is a waste of breath.

find her something prettier.

sit her down in your lap while you cruise xoxide.com or something.
after that, hit newegg...
shell be excited, trust me.
(that sounds... ummm...)

orionlion82 said:
well, if une chooses to buy a computer based on looks rather than function, its their loss...

i know those kind of people. they would buy a flaming pile of (you guessed it) if they likes the looks of it enough
thats not an argument you can use functionality (form/function) to win surprisingly.
those types of people dont care what you tell them about how something will function. the function argument is a waste of breath.

find her something prettier.

sit her down in your lap while you cruise xoxide.com or something.
after that, hit newegg...
shell be excited, trust me.
(that sounds... ummm...)

Yeah, um... having her on my lap? Heck no!

Just remember, if YOU persuade her to go PC, every tiny little problem with her new PC will be YOUR problem.

Also, if she's a "typical user", writing some documents, surfing, sending mail etc, then just about anything will do.. No need for an "all singing all dancing" machine then..

Veland said:
Just remember, if YOU persuade her to go PC, every tiny little problem with her new PC will be YOUR problem.

Also, if she's a "typical user", writing some documents, surfing, sending mail etc, then just about anything will do.. No need for an "all singing all dancing" machine then..

Haha. The consensus here seems to be to just give up, for it's a lost cause.

This summer i got to use a Dual 2ghz Mac G5 for 3 weeks for photoshopping picutres in a graphics class. it was a beautiful experience. however, i felt uncomfortable with the machine and the OS, they were both too "simple" and inaccessible to me at the same time (if that makes any sense). plus photoshop was all i could really do with it...

Veland said:

ditto.

you would be allso setting her up for YOU to be the target of her buyers remorse. which would allmost be guarenteed.
yeah, you get to keep her off your lap too. :shrug:
mac's are PC's (allready i think)
intell and MS will get the money one way ot the other.

just dont tell her shes getting an intel box. let her think that the APPLE BSD, and the apple box are special. after all, she paid for it, she shoud enjoy that amount of money spent.
EDIT: you can laugh if you want though

orionlion82 said:
ditto.

you would be allso setting her up for YOU to be the target of her buyers remorse. which would allmost be guarenteed.
yeah, you get to keep her off your lap too. :shrug:
mac's are PC's (allready i think)
intell and MS will get the money one way ot the other.

just dont tell her shes getting an intel box. let her think that the APPLE BSD, and the apple box are special. after all, she paid for it, she shoud enjoy that amount of money spent.
EDIT: you can laugh if you want though

She actually researches Apple and stuff. She's the most tech-savvy female I know, and she realizes that Apple is going Intel, but that's not deterring her from thinking of one.

I'm planning on buying an Apple within the next week. They are quite feesable for lots of uses. My primary use for it will be school related.

So let me leave you with this, why should you disuade her from going apple? If that is what she want's and it can do what she wants it to do and you are obviosly having problems coming up with convincing arguments for the opposing ground (hence the thread right?) then why not just let her buy an apple? I can't help but feel that there is a bit of predjudizing mentality in the 'friends don't let friends buy macs' attitude.

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
This summer i got to use a Dual 2ghz Mac G5 for 3 weeks for photoshopping picutres in a graphics class. it was a beautiful experience. however, i felt uncomfortable with the machine and the OS, they were both too "simple" and inaccessible to me at the same time (if that makes any sense). plus photoshop was all i could really do with it...

Could this sense of discomfort and inaccessability be contributed by simply not being as knowledgable of the OS? Would you not feel the same way running a linux other alt operating system OS? If you had never used windows before would you not feel discomfort and inaccessability? My grandfather does, I have to show him how to check his outlook express email almost bi-weekly. Do you think if you had the same experience running a MacOS based machine as a Windows based machine your attitude would change, honest now.

I'm sorry to go against the grain here, but aside from the money issue I myself really don't see any substantial arguments as to why she should not go ahead with her purchase.

It just feels like the 1950-60's all over again.

Okay now that I have that off my chest, my only lingering worry about my future purchase is its longevity.

If I buy now I get a ppc based laptop, which is all fine and dandy they've been making them for well over a decade, but this time next year apple is going to be pushing its x86 architecture and I'm a little concerned about where that will leave those of us with then to be aging ppc architecture. How much support/new apps am I going to be able to use and get? Should I wait for the switch, and if so how many compatibilitiy issues are there going to be soon after the switch with what will then be legacy apps? These are issues you should urge her to consider before she finalizes her decision. I still say let her get an apple, she just may want to consider the time frame in which she buys it.

Last edited:
Schalldampfer said:
I think she's in it mainly because of the looks, as far as I can tell.

then tell her about SavRow machines, they are PCs and they put mac design and performance to shame in every category.

Sheesh, if she can afford it, why try to talk her outta it? If i had a extra 3 grand laying around i'd have one...

The computing experiance is what make a person happy. If she will be happy on a Mac then why talk her out of it. Think of it like this. Let her spend the money for it, and you get to learn how it works. Win Win.
How many have used a new apple here and explored it? (Besides school work.) I would love to have a Mac, and explore the possibilties it offers over what the PC has.

Now if there is a specific need she is overlooking. That would be the only reason to convince her. Somethings are not about money.

Back