• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Systems almost identical 1 is slower HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToeKneeATX

Registered
Hey guys, I am out of ideas. I have setup 2 extra rigs in my apartment, they both are really similiar component wise. The one that is hypothetically faster is actually slower. I need some advice as to what could be making the slower one faster.

Rig #1

Mobile Athlon XP 2400+ @ 200x12 = 2.4ghz
DFI NFII Ultra Infinity
512mb (2x256mb) OCZ Dual Channel DDR @ 2-3-3-3-11
Radeon 9700 Pro
WD 160GB ATA 8mb

Rig #2

Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ @ 200x11 = 2.2ghz
DFI NFII Ultra Infinity
512mb Single stick of Samsung @ 2.5-3-3-3-11
Geforce4 TI4400
WD 80GB ATA 8mb

All other settings are basically identical. Raid controller is disabled on both of them. Both are using onboard lan/audio. I tried setting the virtual pages the same with no luck. Also Rig #1 got an HDtach score of ~ 100mbps and Rig #2 a score of ~ 91mbps. But, Rig #2 loads quicker in games (i.e. these systems are used to play City of Villains Beta side by side and #2 always loads quicker) and seems snappier in windows itself.

Any help is much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to mention both are using the same platform drivers (Nvidia 5.10) without the Nvidia SW IDE driver.

look at the video cards there, the radeon 9700 is supposed to pwn that gefore ti4400 - have you swapped video cards ?

ToeKneeATX said:
Hey guys, I am out of ideas. I have setup 2 extra rigs in my apartment, they both are really similiar component wise. The one that is hypothetically faster is actually slower. I need some advice as to what could be making the slower one faster.

Rig #1

Mobile Athlon XP 2400+ @ 200x12 = 2.4ghz
DFI NFII Ultra Infinity
512mb (2x256mb) OCZ Dual Channel DDR @ 2-3-3-3-11
Radeon 9700 Pro
WD 160GB ATA 8mb

Rig #2

Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ @ 200x11 = 2.2ghz
DFI NFII Ultra Infinity
512mb Single stick of Samsung @ 2.5-3-3-3-11
Geforce4 TI4400
WD 80GB ATA 8mb

All other settings are basically identical. Raid controller is disabled on both of them. Both are using onboard lan/audio. I tried setting the virtual pages the same with no luck. Also Rig #1 got an HDtach score of ~ 100mbps and Rig #2 a score of ~ 91mbps. But, Rig #2 loads quicker in games (i.e. these systems are used to play City of Villains Beta side by side and #2 always loads quicker) and seems snappier in windows itself.

Any help is much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to mention both are using the same platform drivers (Nvidia 5.10) without the Nvidia SW IDE driver.

Or could it be that one of them is faster than the other, and not the other way around?

Well for one thing as mentioned, the 9700Pro is much faster than the 4400. In terms of your hard drive speed, were both the hard drives defragmented before testing? Fragmentation can have an effect on your read speed.

Enigma422 said:
Well for one thing as mentioned, the 9700Pro is much faster than the 4400. In terms of your hard drive speed, were both the hard drives defragmented before testing? Fragmentation can have an effect on your read speed.

no, not defragmented. but fresh installs of xp. The game's fps (in this case City of Villains) is higher in rig #1 (using fraps to see fps). BUT it completley freezes at times, and I see the HD light being active. My guess is that it is loading more of the map into memory, as #2 does it also at the same points, but finishes much quicker then #1. I just can not figure out why #1 with dual channel ram, a better video card, and clocked 200 more mhz can be so much slower than #2. For instance, when first loading CoV #2 finishes ~30 seconds sooner than #1 when they are started at the exact same time.

I will try defragging to see if it will make any difference...

Thanks again!

Back