• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good DDR2 on the cheap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hyperasus

I’m looking for some good DDR2(512 sticks) on the cheap that have good overclocking potential? There are so many to choose from at newegg. Are there any good sticks for under $50 that have a good chance of clocking to DDR2 700 or better?

Almost any of the major brands of DDR2-667 will easily O/C to DDR2-700 speeds. Some of the DDR2-533 might hit DDR2-700 with extra voltage and relaxed timings.

For example, the OCZ Value series PC2-4200 is rated 4-4-4-12, but OCZ can handle fairly high voltage, so running 2.0 to 2.1v and using 5-5-5-12 timings will probably O/C pretty good.

How much are you looking at for capacity, something like 2X512? Are you looking for super cheap regardless of timings? If you are looking for RAM under $50, then you are probably stuck with 2X256, unless you can push the budget up to about $80 or so (Mushkin or Corsair).

I'm looking at 512x2. When I said $50 I meant per stick. So I'm basically looking for the best memory I can get for under $100. It would be nice to find something that can do 800 or better for around $100, but I don't know if that's possible. I can't decide if Corsair, Mushkin, or OCZ will be the better overclocker in this price range.

Back