• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with very retarded problem.. can't boot off Windows CD?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MtX

Registered
Need help with very retarded problem.. can't boot off Windows CD?!?!

Friday, after I got my A64 setup, I formatted and installed Windows XP flawlessly on my Seagate 160GB SATA HDD. Now I have a Raptor 74GB SATA and I want to install Windows XP on it too. So I unplug the data and power cable out of the Seagate and put it into the Raptor (I only have one set of cables thats why :() and load up my computer. It's detected during POST and it's displayed in BIOS so all is well so far. I enter BIOS and set my computer to boot off of CD-ROM as first device, floppy as second, and HDD as third. That's all I touch, everything else is set at optimized defaults. I save settings and exit BIOS. Nothing happens. Can't boot, can't POST, don't hear any beeps, just a blank screen with my CD-ROM drive spinning and reading the Windows Setup CD. I don't understand why this is happening. I followed the exact procedure mentioned above to re-install Windows on my Seagate 160GB SATA HDD 6 days ago - it should work exactly the same way.

:\

I am baffled and I dont know what else to try. The CD isnt bad because I can read it in Windows using my Seagate HDD. My CD-ROM and DVD-ROM works fine too. HDDs are detected too. SATA drivers are installed automatically so there is no need for a floppy driver. EVERYTHING works flawlessly on my Seagate HDD right now. Is the Raptor drive bad? I doubt it, but even if it were, it shouldn't be affecting the way my computer POSTs and boots off CD.

Help?

moho said:
so it wont post?
or it wont boot?
if it wont post, try resetting the CMOS

nothing happens after i save and exit.

i have no choice but to reset CMOS.

but after I reset CMOS, i have to go back into bios and change first boot device, and the same crap happens again.

Back