• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you flash the bios in windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My Asus P5WD2 Premium came with a windows app to flash the bios on the CD... you haven't specified a model though :)

Yea I am looking at the Asus P5WD2 Premium I wanted an Abit Aw8 but it would not work in a lain li v1000 case.

Yes, "AsusUpdate" is what the included app is called and I pretty much use it exclusively just because it's easier, BUT I have a floppy with the AFUDOS and OEM BIOS ready to go in case things ever go bad :)

Some tips:
1) Get the BIOS files yourself and save them to your HDD...don't rely on the auto update thing because it stinks. The newest BIOS files are usually on forums long before any Asus site.
2) Before flashing, go into Options and check "BIOS is downgradable" so you can go back to an older one if needed. Without doing that, the ONLY way to get an older BIOS installed is via AFUDOS/floppy.
3) Unless you're really brave, don't flash from Windows while OCed unless it's 120% stable :) It will want to reset defaults anyway for the checksum, so I reboot with Setup Defaults in BIOS and then use AsusUpdate for the flash.

HTH

0509 or 0512 should've had the 14x in there too for the 650, but anyway...

That error is not a bad flash...it's a problem with mem or the OC. I get it once in a while too, usually when I am trying to find minimum stable Vc or Vddr for a clock. If you shut down, wait a few seconds and reboot, it should recover and give you an OC error, Press F1 for setup, F2 for defaults. Just hit F1, make any changes you need to (more Vc, lower FSB, mem dividers, etc.), save and let it reboot...should be fine.

270FSB is about the norm before things get hairy on the 600s without a "real' LockFree (04B spec procs/115W = 660-670). Using SpeedStep to get 14x is not the answer everyone thinks it is, since you are still booting a default multi until 14x kicks in. So 270FSB x 17 on that 650 = 4.6GHz that it's booting at. Your best chance for decent OC at 14x is to boot BIOS at a lower/stable FSB and then use AIB or SetFSB (<- only works on BIOS 0304) to increase the clock once you are on the desktop and at a solid 14x multi. Make sure your mem divider is set appropriately to handle whatever FSB you'll get to overall. Your best bet is to start with 1:1 and work on the max clock and then get back and play with mem.

Back