• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im having Dsl Problems Need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twiggz

My DSL has been messing up now for the past 3 months in totaly random patterns throughout everyday. I can't take it anymore i've called SBC ( isp provider ) so many times and they keep saying " well your line tests fine we can send someone out there but it will cost you. " I'm guessing that is steep $$ so i said no. Do you think this could be that crappy little modem they give you ? It has to be something because it worked fine for 6-7 months until 3 months ago. Could i just toss the modem and use a router of some kind and still connect ? Any help would be very nice :p im sure you guys know how irratating it can be to lose your connection alot.

My experience with DSL modems, from Qwest, another Baby Bell... sort of, is that losing connections happens a *lot*. Friends have seen the same. I had an Actiontec DSL router that was trouble from day one. Switched back to cable, Comcast in my neighborhood. Still have probems at times. Usually in the wee hours of the morning.

This is at Anytime doesnt matter it will mess up. Do you know if i wanted to try it could i replace my dsl modem with a router and still connect the same ?

How do you got it hooked up?

----line in------>modem----line to computer---->computer?

Well, it might be the modem.

That happened to me once, the DSL had a lot of problems and everything too. My ISP is SBC too, I called them and it took like 15 minutes to do their line tests, they said everything is fine, so they'll send in a techinician. I agreed, since if it would cost me, they'd tell me first. So a guy came like two days later, looked around outside and inside, ran a buncha random tests. Then he just said something was up with the modem, so he switched out the modem for me for free, I think I still had the 1-year warranty on it.

So yeah, my modem was a 2wire Home Portal, I used to have those little "SpeedStream" modems, but then I had to add another computer, so I ordered the 2wire one from them. If your warranty is out, they might charge you for a new one, I duno.

I'd just ask them over the phone if it'll cost any services charges, if so, how much. Usually it's a free repair for them and you might just have to pay for parts if your warranty is out.

After that, I've had great experiences with SBC, they even switch me back to that $20ish a month deal for their 3mbps line after my contract is out.

damn, it seems like modems just give up cause now my pings suck sometimes. at my lan, we had to wait 4 HOURS for peak hours to stop. then the ping was still pretty bad so we just swapped files around for a couple hours.

-1cem4n

I was getting slow download speeds from sbc dsl (600kbs). SBC is responsible for the line to the point where it attaches to your house. They can only charge you if they enter the door.
I set up my computer and modem on the outside of my house at the phone box.
Then had the technician test the system.
No charge.
It also lets you test if your house wiring is the problem.
Turned out that I was just too far from the distribution box. But for $19.95 I couldn't complain (much).

Well i get 50-180kbs a second with my DSL atm and it's cutting out... heh.... im just gonna have em come out on monday, it could be the house it WAS built in 1974 so i could have some kind of problem. I cant take it anymore ill have em wire a new line into the house if i have too, i want this service to work.

Back