• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Novice needs help overclocking!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captgarrett

k, there is a wealth of knowledge available on this website, but there's so much I can hardly figure out what to read and even if I do, I don't understand some of it. If i'm posting this in the wrong section of the forums, I apologize in advance, I'm new here.

Recently I bought and put together this:

-Asus Nforce 4 sli deluxe
-Athlon 64 3500 Venice
-BFG 7800 GT
-1 ram of low latency ocz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227209
*Linked the ram so that you'd see the exact specs on it.
-Seagate 160 gig 8mb hard drive
-A very good thermaltake CPU fan. ran me like 40 bucks.

History. I did a little overclocking on my last machine, got it from 1.5ghz to 2.0 and it ran smooth as silk. was the first thing I ever overclocked.

This one I got to overclock up to 2.37ghz stable. I was not stable above that. A friend, mentioned that I need to manipulate my ram and maybe voltage as well. I see stuff in the bios to adjust this, but I've also heard that adjusting the voltage can be very dangerous. so, I'm looking for some advice on how I can get the best stable results possible out of my new gaming rig.

I would certainly appreciate any help. Below, I will post information that my bios has for me to manipulate in regards to ram and cpu information.

*jumperfree configuration
-Overclock Profile
*Manual [*]
-auto
-standard
-AI Overclock (no clue what this means)
-AI NOS (ditto)

I know to put this on manual, but for the purpose of knowing I'm a novice, I'm putting it anyways.

*CPU Frequency (this is the front side bus if I understand correctly)
range starts at 200 and goes all the way to 400. I currently have it a 236 because that is the highest rate at which I can run it stable.

*PCI express clock (I'm assuming this refers to overclocking my video card) I also beleive my BFG comes overclocked by default and don't know if I should attempt to overclock for some extra output, or if it will lower the lifespan of my card if I do so.

range: 100mhz-145 mhz (optimal frequency anyone?) or just leave it alone?

*DDR Voltage

-Auto [*] <-- currently here
2.60<----->3.00 (don't know enough about voltages to competantly manipulate them)

*CPU Multiplier Auto, then 4-11 in .5 incriments. Currently set at 10x

*CPU Voltage Auto, then 1.550v all the way down to .800v

*PCI clock syncronization (huh wha?!?)
Auto
To CPU
33.33 MHZ

Once again, any help would be wonderful. thanks in advance.

forgot

I forgot to post the DRAM configuration page. One dude said I would need to change or overclock ram to get my overclock higher.

DRAM configuration page

Timing Mode Auto/Manual

Memory clock index value 200-600

Cas# latency (TCL) 2/[2.5]/3.0

Min Ras# Active Time (tras) 5T-12t

Ras# to Cas # Delay (TRCD) 2t-7t

Row Precharge Time (TRP) 2t-7t

Row cycletime (TRC) 7t-22T

Row refresh cycle time (TRFC) 9t-24T

Read to write time (trwt) 1T-6T

Write recovery Time (TWR)

1t/2T memory timing 1t/2t

On this, I don't know what to ignore or what to actually adjust.

Manually set the PCI-E frequency to 100 MHz. That's default. Going above that don't O/C the vid card, just puts more stress on the PCI-E bus and can add instability. For memory voltage, as long as you have decent case ventilation, 2.8v should be quite safe. As for RAM timings (DRAM configuration), I suggest posting this question in the memory section. Set the PCI bus to 33 MHz for the same reason as described for the PCI-E. Hope this helps a little.

batboy said:
Manually set the PCI-E frequency to 100 MHz. That's default. Going above that don't O/C the vid card, just puts more stress on the PCI-E bus and can add instability. For memory voltage, as long as you have decent case ventilation, 2.8v should be quite safe. As for RAM timings (DRAM configuration), I suggest posting this question in the memory section. Set the PCI bus to 33 MHz for the same reason as described for the PCI-E. Hope this helps a little.

awesome thanks bro. I'll post the results of exactly how much I could squeeze out of this puppy.

If you are still running default vcore, you might ask in the AMD CPU section about safe voltage and safe load CPU temp. I suspect you might need a bit more voltage if you want to O/C higher, but I don't know much about your processor. Remember, increasing voltage increase temps, so cooling gets very important.

Back