• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

internal audio connector!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GQBalla

hey everyone i was just wondering if i really needed that internal audio connector. you know the cord that connects your mb to your cd rom or cd writer... and so on and so on...

im just wondering this because i have one connected to my cd burner and i dont have one connected to my dvd burner and the cord the internal audio connector that is conecting my cd burner to the mb is a little tight like barely any slack on the cord and i just wondered if i needed it because i think the cord is too tight

I'm pretty sure you don't need it as long as your running Win2000 or above.

Under 2000 and above they added the ability to "Enable Digital CD Audio" under the device properties for CD ROM drives, so the audio no longer had to be picked up off the cord. I figured this out when a friends Win2000 computer I put together wouldn't play CDs. I was pretty used to just skipping that little audio cord thing with all the XP machines I've done of late. On 2000 that Digital CD Audio wasn't enabled by default like it is in XP.

Right, not needed by most people. Remove it and try!

If you have a digital out on your cd/dvd (two pins) you can hook up a led and a resistor and get optical digital out!

....but most soundcards have that now anyway...
......all this knowledge going old on me.....

It is only needed for analog audio out from the cdrom drive. It gets the same signal as the headphone jack on a cdrom drive. I've been able to hook a bare cdrom drive up to a PSU and use it to play cds through those before. Not sure why you'd want to, though.

GQBalla said:
hey everyone i was just wondering if i really needed that internal audio connector. you know the cord that connects your mb to your cd rom or cd writer... and so on and so on...

im just wondering this because i have one connected to my cd burner and i dont have one connected to my dvd burner and the cord the internal audio connector that is conecting my cd burner to the mb is a little tight like barely any slack on the cord and i just wondered if i needed it because i think the cord is too tight

thnaks for asking that - it has always irked me, but i never really knew wtf it was for, but it didnt seemt to cause a problem

well i am running on windows xp pro so ill juss remove it! since i really dont like it! ahahah thanks guys

Back