• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UTT CH-5 vs TCCD for an Opteron 146

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sinnerman49

Registered
Anyone have any idea which performs better in an overclock situation?

Mushkin UTT CH-5 vs OCZ TCCD (Both PC3200)

Thanks!

You're asking a very vague question here.

The TCCD will hit higher HTT speeds, but the UTT will perform better (in most cases) given the low latencies.

Given that the 146 comes with a 10x multiplier, you have a lot of flexibility with the type of memory you use.

Personally, I would pair the opteron with the Redline and use a divider for any sort of high clocks that you need.

deception``

:welcome: to the Forum, Sinnerman49.
It would be helpful if you posted your rig in your signature. Different ram performs differently depending on the motherboard. My personal preference is the TCCD because it performs well at modest voltage. There is no extra heat and no extra fans. To me it's just a simpler set up.

Thanks for the replies guys.

When you say that the 10x multiplier offers a lot of flexibility, what do you mean? How can this be used to my advantage? I was under the impression that lowering the multiplier would just require a higher HTT(FSB) and therefore lessen performance.

Keep in mind, I'm new to the in-n-outs of AMD64 O/Cing.

Edited signature.

deception`` said:
You're asking a very vague question here.

The TCCD will hit higher HTT speeds, but the UTT will perform better (in most cases) given the low latencies.

Given that the 146 comes with a 10x multiplier, you have a lot of flexibility with the type of memory you use.

Personally, I would pair the opteron with the Redline and use a divider for any sort of high clocks that you need.

deception``

More multi's gives you more choices for running your system at the same speed, but allows you to run the ram at a different speed. Example: with a 10x multi I can run my system at 2.5Ghz either at 10x250 or 9x278. What does that do? Well, that means I can run my ram at many different speeds. At 1 to 1, I can run it at 278MHz or 250MHz. At a 166 divider I can run it at 209MHz or 234MHz. This gives you more opportunities to run your ram at it's best performance speed while keeping your highest CPU speed.

Good stuff i'm learning.. I'm currently building a new pc and have a DFI UTultra D mobo and my GTX Ko. Next thing is the Opty 146. As far as mem is concern, will the ones on my sig do? or should i get redlines? or for that matter the OCZ EL plats?

Please advise.

I just ordered some Mushkin Redline XP3200 2x512 DT Kit from Newegg -> I'll letcha know how they perform. I've heard there are some oddities with running TCCD with the Opteron 939's. Might wanna read through the "Unofficial Opteron Overclocking Thread" over at Xtreme System's Forums.

I like Crucial Balistix personally as it is like UTT & TCCD where it will run either ~250-270MHz with tight timings or ~270-300MHz with loose timings depending on the quality of the chips you get. Also you basically split the difference between the two in voltage. Instead of using 2.8-2.9v as with TCCD or 3.3-3.6v with UTT you end up with ~3.0-3.1v in use. The chips do get hot though so a modest fan is a good idea. In any case, I'd go for UTT if Balistix doesn't appeal to you.

Back