• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2 and fat coolers???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JJ_BPK

Registered
I plan to use one of the following coolers to keep my P 4 D 840 happy..

ThermalTake CL-P0071 SonicTower,692g
Zalman CNPS9500, 530g
Scythe Ninja SCNJ1000, 665g

I like this style because it allows the fans to blow to the back & out of the case, rather than at the side cover.. Additionally on the Ninja & Sonic Tower you can mount two fans..

I read somewhere that the Intel mobo standard for max weight of mounted coolers is something like 450g..

What is the ASUS max weight for the P5WD2 mobo??
Anyone had any problems related to a fat cooler on this mobo??

Thanks
Jim

I have a VERY large coolermaster on mine (hyper 48 I think is the model name), like 900g or some insane weight. Pretty big too. No issues, but that may be because of the coolermaster design (comes with a backplate to disperse the weight evenly and offer rigidity). Other note is that my proc, even oc'ed, rarely triggers the fan to spin at higher than 1500rpm (the minimum) on the optimal fan preset. If you haven't looked at this heatsink as an option, I would... highly recommend it.

I own the sonic tower and must strongly warn you against using it. There is something wrong with the amount of pressure to mount the sink that damages the CPU socket. I'd go with an XP120 or a zalman

Sentential said:
I own the sonic tower and must strongly warn you against using it. There is something wrong with the amount of pressure to mount the sink that damages the CPU socket. I'd go with an XP120 or a zalman

I have 2 of these now ... one on an AS8 mobo, running fine, one on a new P5Wd2-p.

Since I am having a problem with the P5WD2 setup ... will only run a single stick of mem on dimm 3 or 4 ...but otherwise is running fine ... i am wondering if this is related to your comment?

Back